Ever have one of those calls?

TheDoll

Forum Captain
1)My old roommate would love you. heh.

2)"There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives!" :)

1)aw:blush:
2)noted, heh
Playing rugby is another great destresser. There's nothing like tackling the crap out of someone else without the fear of any sort of legal action against you. ;)

you are too cool! i wanted to play rugby, but the guy i was dating at the time said absolutel not! i don't usually do what my so says, but i went to a few of his matches, and decided that i'd prolly wet myself if i found myself on a rugby field. it is total badassery:D

Sera

Forum Probie
Clobber him in a rugby match. Problem solved. :D

Rugby is a lot of fun. I haven't played in ages. last time I played was with a bunch of crazed drunken Australians. good times.

i LOVE rugby =) lived in NZ for awhile (aus for a few months).. played touch =) I'm prob the biggest All Blacks fan in Canada right now :p

FF894

Forum Captain
What do you do to "put it away"?

Left from the hospital on a car v bicycle. 13 min to on scene which sucked. Local VFD was only 30 sec in front of us so no early help.

9yom, bilateral tib/fib fx blood from nose and ears and unconscious the whole time.(no helmet) Bystanders had rolled him over as he was "purple". BP 100/p, P124, SAT 74%, ETCO2 54.

I missed the tube on the first try because of the bright sun and the blood filling his mouth. Suction twice,finally got a combi tube. My partner missed the IV first try, holed a big AC and switched to the other arm. He probably should have IO'ed the kids shoulder but nobody practices it enough to be real comfortable. ( and wouldn't you know both legs were shot).

We finally got him stable and flew him out to the trauma center. The call was seriously f*%# up from the start and we hated our overall performance. Didn't make any difference that his fate was sealed when his gourd hit the asphalt.

This was the first call I went home early off shift in 27 years. Not because it was a kid, had plenty and will have plenty more. But because the call went south and we didn't get it fixed fast enough.

Lessons learned include being better prepared but also that going home was a really good idea. I was asleep by 11pm at home and I never do that. The next day every muscle in my body hurt. It would not have paid to keep pumping epi into myself all night long with other calls.

The next day a long motorcycle ride allowed me to think things through and make adjustments to my thinking without having buried it during the shift. You never stop learning and finding things you didn't know or couldn't do better.

What do others do to de-stress? Fishing? Other bikers? Walks?

FFmedic

First of all that was a really tough call, don't beat yourself up too much. I usually go for a long ride on my Triumph to clear my head. Theres something about a long ride down some windy back roads on a nice sunny day that just seems to clear your head. B)

Epi-do

I see dead people
Lately, I have been heading to the gym and swimming laps. I haven't swam on a regular basis in years and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it.

Something else that I have always found relaxing and need to make time for again is horseback riding. There is just something about a dead gallop across an open field that is such a total destressor for me. Truth be known, almost anything involving a horse is relaxing for me. There is nothing quite like a clean barn with the smells of the leather, hay, grain and horses at feeding time in the evening, the horses chomping on grain and nickering. That is the ultimate way to unwind for me. What is that old saying....there is nothing like the outside of a horse for the inside of a man.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for the difficult call. I like to run or just walk, sometimes with my walkman cranked up. Tunes everything out for a bit so I can de-stress.

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
I dont have a bike... but a long ride on country roads in my cavalier with the windows down and the radio cranked works as well :)

abnmed82

Forum Ride Along
i guess not everyone has the opportunity to just volunteer to go out on the next mission and get a chance to shoot/blow something up...

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Well, my boyfriend goes out to a combat range when he needs to destress and clear his head. I guess there's nothing like shooting the s**t outta something when you're stressed...

Apparently he also likes to take his anger out on things and people, too... :rolleyes: