End tidal C02 at BLS level

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I believe that capnography would be a good tool for the BLS kit. It’s non-invasive, and even if you are not looking at wave forms, the numbers give some great information. Knowing the correct limits you can tell if a patient is oxygenating properly. It is a good indicator if your patient is about to go to **** quicker than a pulse ox. The numbers on the canography will drop a lot faster when a patient gets into respiratory distress or stops breathing by a minute or two depending on how well the patient was oxygenating before he decided to make you **** your pants.
There is absolutely no reason I can see not to put that piece of equipment in the BLS took kit. I have been a Paramedic and instructor for 32 years. If am EMT can read a glucometer and tell if a patient’s glucose is too high or low, of course with the exam, surely they can look at the numbers of a canograhy and tell if the patient is in trouble. It is not rocket science
Do EMTs know that COPD patients are hypercapnic as a baseline? Just asking as I'm not in the field.

MyDogWalksMe

Forum Ride Along
Do EMTs know that COPD patients are hypercapnic as a baseline? Just asking as I'm not in the field.
Think they do, at least we used to. Barrel Chest used to be on the run sheet for something we check. While not necessary asking for COPD but they probably put that box on there to remind us "Hey, maybe there is COPD?" - Says the runsheet.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I wouldn't have known what hypercapnia was if it punched me in the face when I was an EMT-B. And I have my suspicions that my old partner who once asked me what a pulmonary embolism was didn't know either.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Depends, some emt’s think O2 is a miracle drug and can cure anything, others apply themselves a little more are more educated on topics as a whole.

we carry etco2, we use it for codes/ arrests