EMT in Orange County

musStool

Forum Ride Along
I've been reading alot of threads about getting an EMT job that have gotten me pretty scared because my $ issue is time sensitive.

I know there are a bunch of threads like these but i couldnt find any helpful ones. So here it goes;

Im 22 years old ready to graduate college in less than a few weeks with a degree in public health science (its pretty much a Bio Degree). I am willing to work in both orange county and la county (which ever one i can get). I just got my EMT certs all finished up including my Ambulance Driver Cert. I am willing work with inter-facilities, 911, whatever ( im not a picky worker), as long as i can get a job. I dont have any volunteer experience, but im working on that right now.

1) Is it going to be very hard to get any type of EMT job during this economic downturn?

2) I've been hearing that it is easy getting an emt job because of the high turnover rate. Valid?

3) Ease of getting an IFT job vs. 911

Any other advice would be very helpful and would be greatly appreciated

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Your questions have been answered many times on this forum previously. EMS in southern california is a crap shoot. Even though their are general answers to your questions, there will be many, many exceptions to the them. It seems to me that a more prudent plan of action would be to put apps in at every prospective company you are interested in. You should speak to their person in charge of hiring and do individual research on what requirements they maintain and what things will make you competitive.

A general answer to your question like: "yes IFT is easier to get than 911" is not going to help you get a job. Apply everywhere, don't hold your breath, and look for a non EMS job to live on until you are able to get hired.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
There are many more IFT vs 911 so yes getting IFT job is easier. The burnout rate is high mainly because of the pay. Do not expect to get much more compare to say McDonald pay. In Southern California there are many EMT'S vs amount of open position so finding a job is hard. Look up companys in both OC/LA and apply in all of them. Your primary goal is to get a job period.