EMT Basic classes. Are online credible and respected?

Should I choose online (With in person classes) Or the local college classes?

• Online with hands-on training

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm thinking of this course (It won't let me make a link without 5 posts). It's RC heath center in TX.

But the local college that has classes that have a contract with the local hospital (The hospital I want to work at) won't have another class for a bit.

I want to get started sooner, rather than later. Is this worth it, or should I wait for in-person, on-campus classes?

Note, the online classes involve at least 9 days of travel to Houston for training days and ride alongs. Houston is about 2-2.5 hours away. I don't mind the travel, but I don't want to invest in all of this if this course isn't really recommended

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
without knowing anything about the particular program:

Most places don't care where you received your training, at least for EMT class; all that matters is if you are able to successfully pass the class. This might be asked for your first job, but once you get it, no one will care.

if you take the online class, are there any regulatory reasons why you won't be able to take the NREMT or Texas EMT exam at the end?

Why don't you ask the local hospital what their thoughts are on online EMT classes?

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
The online class make sure that you have to take the official test in you get certified in what they called some national program, but it's really only a semi national as not every state accepts it. You have to come in for certain days to do the testing, and that fee is not included in the course.

My only thing is, I didn't want to take all of this and not be able to get a job at my local hospital, should they be hiring.

I have asked them, and I'm waiting for a reply. But I do not know how biased they may be, and even if they had said yes, if most of y'all had said that online courses are a scam, I would be reluctant to do so. My dad knew a guy that went to the physical University of Phoenix, and after they released their online program his degree was worthless.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As I said before, call your hospital to discuss what they will or will not accept.

A brief look at the websites makes me think they finish the course and then you sit for the national registry exam. Not sure how they crosses to Texas. You should call them and find out.

I don't think it's a scam; however you might not get as much out of it as you would an in person class.

It's up to you, but I think you have some phone calls to make to help clear up some of the confusion.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Both of the "online" classes I have taken use the Jones & Bartlett text books. You will spend most of your waking moments reading the text book, either the physical book or the online version and doing the work in the chapters and at the end of the chapter. Physical classes will be reviews for the written tests. Those tests will be timed and you may or may not be able to take the test on your home computer. Depends on the class.

I did both Basic and Advanced this way. I live out in the sticks. If you pass the course you take the NREMT, pass that and Texas will license you and then you are good to go.

I cannot stress to you how much time it takes to do these online classes. My basic class started with 19 people. Only 3 of us survived to get the license. AEMT was just as intensive time wise, but it was paid for by work and 5 out of 7 managed to pass and get licensed.

I would have preferred actual class room study in retrospect.