EMS Research and Critical Care

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hello Admins and fellow EMTlifers,
Any thoughts, feedback, or comments regarding the possibility of adding 2 new sections to the forum?

1. EMS Research
2. Critical Care

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Critical Care in general or CC Transport? I think most critical care would fall under ALS but a seperate section for Critical Care Transport may be useful for things not seen by 911 or regular IFT medics such as ventricualr assist devices and various invasive monitoring.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Critical Care in general or CC Transport? I think most critical care would fall under ALS but a seperate section for Critical Care Transport may be useful for things not seen by 911 or regular IFT medics such as ventricualr assist devices and various invasive monitoring.

Ya sorry, "Critical Care Transport" There are a lot of unique aspects of CCT which I think justify its own section. HEMS, training and certifications, Devices and Procedures, CCT team members who are not only Medics, such as RN's, RT's, perfusionist, ect.

Furthermore, I think EMS research also deserves its own section.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not qualified to weigh in on the CCT issue (though for what it's worth, it seems like CCT deserves its own section), but I'd love to see an EMS research section!

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
I am all for CCT and I think Clipper1 volunteered for the moderator/Community Leader spot.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What benefit would they serve, when the existing sub-forums aren't really being used (to wit, Advanced Medical Discussions)? Or, to put it differently, what would be different between these forums below:
EMS Research and Advanced Medical Discussions
Critical Care Transport and ALS Discussions

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I was not suggesting a sub forum, but an actual main topic forum, viewable from the home page as its own category, such as ALS, BLS, EMS EDUCATION, I think all those are used daily under "Main EMS forum" The sub-forums aren't used much, I don't support either of these subjects becoming a sub-forum.
I am not the boss, just giving my 2 cents. If the admins decide to try it out, and it does not show enough activity in a month or so, you could also delete it or merge into another related area.

I think it could actually bring new members to the forum and offer a wider variety to the audience that comes to forum. In addition to that it would really complement the full spectrum of modern and current EMS in my mind. "Times they are a changing"

I think "Advanced Medical Discussions is a good idea, but what makes it advanced? Critical Care, Research, Doctors? I am not sure. When I go to make a posting I do not even consider posting in that area. I think "Critical Care Transport" and "EMS Research" are very big and easy to identity the subject matter with. For example, EMS research threads are discussed all over the forum periodically. I think having its own section would really spark a lot of new discussions specially on trending and current EMS research studies. I think it would also add more depth professionally to the forum.

Critical Care topics often end up in ALS, which is cool, but I think Critical Care is now big enough to demand its own section and I think we have enough followers who could keep it active. There are other forums which only discuss critical care, and divide into more sub categories, so I think having the 1 CCT area would draw plenty of discussions. It could even draw more people to the forum who stick to CCT communities, flight web, ect...

However, I see whats your saying, and I think a lot of the topics in "the break room" could be combined, cleaned up, or divided into sub forums, but I am not gonna get into that ;-) Its not my forum, I am just along for the ride :p

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
As a sign of good faith, I even became a premium member today ;-)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
One thing to consider with making them top-level forums is how crowded and cluttered the main forum page would be. If we add two more forums to it, it will push two other forums further down the list.

Right now, we're not seeing enough traffic on either of those two topics to warrant their own forum, but we can revisit the topic in the future if that changes.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya sorry, "Critical Care Transport" There are a lot of unique aspects of CCT which I think justify its own section. HEMS, training and certifications, Devices and Procedures, CCT team members who are not only Medics, such as RN's, RT's, perfusionist, ect.

Furthermore, I think EMS research also deserves its own section.

If you want critical care, including transport, there are several great forums which already exist and include those professionals on them. I have seen a few from the EMS forums on the CC sites. This forum is very limited to those who are already established here as the "leaders". There are the numerous discussions here bashing RNs, doctors and patients which tend to turn people in other professions or even other Paramedics off from sites like this.

The drawback for some who post here is that on the other forums you might have to use your real name, license number and openly list your employer for others to see.

AeroClinician

Forum Crew Member
I am with Expat on this, we need a "Critical Care" Forum on the main page immediately beneath "ALS Disscusions".

Paramedics are involved in more than acute care, we have now branched into critical care as well. There is a lot to be discussed about with Critical Care as it needs to be front and center, not tucked away under " Advanced Medical Disscussions". That title does not really inspire/attract critical care discussions.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Paramedics are involved in more than acute care, we have now branched into critical care as well. There is a lot to be discussed about with Critical Care as it needs to be front and center, not tucked away under " Advanced Medical Disscussions". That title does not really inspire/attract critical care discussions.

Where in acute care and what are they doing? ICUs as Paramedics? What states? Please elaborate.

There are other forums involving critical care (ICUs) which are very active but most are closed membership where you must use your own name and professional association which I stated before a few months ago. If you want to remain anonymous (sorta) you can join the critical care discussions on some of the nursing forums.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I agree. I also noticed we are getting more and more critical care providers (nurses, FP-C, ect) on the forum.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Where in acute care and what are they doing? ICUs as Paramedics? What states? Please elaborate.

There are other forums involving critical care (ICUs) which are very active but most are closed membership where you must use your own name and professional association which I stated before a few months ago. If you want to remain anonymous (sorta) you can join the critical care discussions on some of the nursing forums.

Not sure about the US but it is common up here for Medics to be working in the hospital as medics and not techs. Depending on the level of medic they would be doing triage, general ER duties including taking their own pts, running codes and working the floor of an ICU....That said to be a critical care medic up here takes a minimum of 4 years of education and work experience at the various other levels.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Not sure about the US but it is common up here for Medics to be working in the hospital as medics and not techs. Depending on the level of medic they would be doing triage, general ER duties including taking their own pts, running codes and working the floor of an ICU....That said to be a critical care medic up here takes a minimum of 4 years of education and work experience at the various other levels.

It seems that also is a new development in some parts of Canada.

The advanced education helps.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
OHSU hospital in Portland is the level 1 trauma center and main teaching hospital in Oregon. They hire Paramedics to work as Paramedics (can intubate, ect) in the ED. All those guys have at a minimum an Oregon AAS in EMS, which takes about 3 years to complete with the pre-rec's. They are used in the trauma bay instead of an RN.