EMS, a romantic notion.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Like I said, I'll take. You can put me on a heavy rescue and never hear a complaint from me.

Time out. You don't get to jump straight to Rescue right outta the gate! Oh wait....disregard :D

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Time out. You don't get to jump straight to Rescue right outta the gate! Oh wait....disregard :D

I have experience. I am not right out of the gate.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Heck, I'd love to move there.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yes, but $60k/yr doesn't go too far in NYC where I'm from, or in LI where NYMedic lives.

You pay local taxes in addition to State and Federal in NYC, car insurance is astronomical, so is fuel, a 2 BR apartment that's not in the ghetto costs from $1500/month to well over $2000/month in even a lower middle class neighborhood. Forget about owning a house unless you go in with family for a 2-family plus rented basement, like a lot of foreigners do, where all the adults work FT while the grandparents provide free child care. Property taxes in LI can and do run north of $10,000/yr as a rule. Some property tax bills run the same as the mortgage on my $330,000 house here in VA!

$60,000/yr is practically welfare wages in NY unless you're single and living in a studio apartment in the outer boroughs.

A strong point about comparisons. Your NY dollar (or San Fancisco or Los Angeles dollar) goes far shorter than your Omaha, Portland or Bangor dollar. (And social security/medicare/insurance companies don't take that into account).
The campaigning "reformers" say all civil servants make too much. Hope they need a TOledo ambulance solmetime.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
A strong point about comparisons. Your NY dollar (or San Fancisco or Los Angeles dollar) goes far shorter than your Omaha, Portland or Bangor dollar. (And social security/medicare/insurance companies don't take that into account).
The campaigning "reformers" say all civil servants make too much. Hope they need a TOledo ambulance solmetime.

A top pay FDNY firefighter with some overtime here as there usually makes about $100,000 a year. Bosses and specialty companies usually do $120-160,000 a year.

In any other state that would be great wages but in NYC/LI it's enough to be comfortable assuming your wife helps pay the bills.

I pay $200 a month in car insurance alone... A one bedroom apartment in someone's basement would run me $1200 a month. Hence why I still live with my folks.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
A top pay FDNY firefighter with some overtime here as there usually makes about $100,000 a year. Bosses and specialty companies usually do $120-160,000 a year.

In any other state that would be great wages but in NYC/LI it's enough to be comfortable assuming your wife helps pay the bills.

I pay $200 a month in car insurance alone... A one bedroom apartment in someone's basement would run me $1200 a month. Hence why I still live with my folks.

Not to mention that you have to wash your clothes at the laundromat as well in most cases.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

This is why I say that all things being equal, try and work for the better paying department with a higher cost of living. Saving 10% of $100k is better than saving 10% of $60k. Same thing for pension multipliers. It's all about the best retirement. You can always relocate to a locale with a lower cost of living afterward.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Like I said, I'll take. You can put me on a heavy rescue and never hear a complaint from me.

There's no age restrictions here, just sayin'

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
whats your agency called?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a pretty set plan at this point.

I was hired early enough to avoid the hits that were taken by NYC police and fire pensions. I am grandfathered into the old system that still has a 20/50 retirement with benefits for life. 75% pension untaxed if I am injured and put out. As far as my future goes, I am set. I will have just shy of 4 years in EMS come January which I can buy back by paying more into my pension and I can retire at 39 if I so choose to.

Anyone hired after me is not in the same boat unfortunately but it is still worth while.