Eamt

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I was flipping through the channels and saw a show on animal planet about rescuing animals and transporting them to animal hospitals. The rescuers are called EAMTs which stands for emergency animal medical technicians. They even wore star of life patches and official looking "Animal Rescue" shirts with emt pants. They are trained in emergency medical procedures for animals, they actually take a class to become EAMT certified. They are also in constant contact with DVMs at the hospital when they have a critical critter.

Now for my opinion. Are you freaking kidding me!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Now are they BLS or ALS <_<:rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm sure they're developing a NREAMT-P curriculum right now. In all seriousness, I would love to see what the EAMT curriculum looks like.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
From the little I've seen.. they seem to be vet. techs... they are able to preform to an almost EMT-I level... few, if any drugs, but IV's.

My dad worked as a research assistant in an animal lab (30 years ago)... he says you can intubate a dog without a larengoscope..open the mouth and see the cords.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MMiz said:

Either:

BLS = Beast Life Support
ALS = Animal Life Support

:p

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
The title of "Animal EMT"

COOL....As a current nationally lincensed veterinary technician (going over to the EMT-P world), I can tell you that yes, I have intubated MANY a dog without a laryngoscope (easier on large dogs). I have worked in an "animal ER" for a long time before switching over th the human ER, and many of the drugs and procedures are the same. Licensed vet techs ARE similar to paramedics, in the respect that we are able to induce anethesia, intubate and monitor, administer ALL IV cardiac and other drugs (except for sodium pentobarbitol-"euthanasia"). We are also allowed to perform some invasive procedures, such as IV and IO catheters. (I have even placed an IO in a dying hypothermic kitten!) I must say I loved the job in the "vet world", but as with children, you can't save them all, and if you love animals, seeing the way a human can torture or even "overdose" their beloved pet (I have seen many dogs "Stoned" with party drugs for fun, and it breaks your heart when it causes their heart or kidneys to fail), after a while it just starts to hurt to see that. Also, I recently lost my dearly loved dog, so will be a while before I go back for relief work. Thats just my ten cents' worth-yes it seems outrageous that there are "animal EMT's" out there, but for an injured pet, making a difference in their life feels just as good as saving a human-I KNOW, BECAUSE I HAVE DONE BOTH! Now, wish me luck on this medic interview!!

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Every time I pass by that show, I always do a double take.

At first glance, I always think of this...

27781566_240x240_F.jpg

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
My supervisor was licensed in canine CPR. If I remember correctly, she had had opportunities to use it.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Our local Red Cross chapter offers a "Pet CPR" class. From what I hear, it's pretty popular. I wish as many people took the interest in adult CPR.

I do kind of think that the "animal EMT" thing might be taking stuff a bit too far.. don't get me wrong, I love animals, but I'd kind of worry about someone driving code 3 to a vet. (We have at least one or two animal ambulance companies around here.)

but, I remember during Hurricane Katrina that there were several groups going to the NOLA area specifically to pick up animals. They were like "Screw the people, we're going for the animals!" Some of those groups were from around here.. big surprise.

I dunno, maybe I'm just grumpy and jaded. I know people that put themselves $800 in the hole because the pet rat needed a tumor removed. (rats get tumors very often, and their lifespan is only a few years anyway.)

FF894

Forum Captain
I have been to a few fires that a pet was injured and/or suffered smoke inhalation. Would be good to have that sort of response for pets. We usually just have a bystander rush the pet to the nearest animal hospital which isn't always open, have the right staff, etc. :sad: