Dr's bed-side manors?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Nitrous to adminsiter lidocaine to a large area? Priceless.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Also, honestly if it was a fairly minor local injury I would not want to place a child under more risk of sedation just for the sake of keeping them calm. Procedural sedation is not totally benign and if it's just a matter or saving the child the pain of just a local injection then I don't think it's worth it.

For sure, in a minor local injury, local should be more than fine.

But when you start dissecting deep tissue or expanding the area, I would think it is then time to perhaps escalate the type of analgesic/anesthetic.

You don't always have to go for a full procedural sedation, and I must confess i was thinking of a deep penetrating wound when I wrote that, but some versed itself can go a long way.

I aso understand Ketamine is good also, but I have never used ketamine myself.

My mentor in anesthesia likes to say, "there is no one right way to provide anesthesia, there is no one best way, but you should be comfortable with the way you use."

I think many physicians today, all over the world, significantly over estimate the risks of various procedures. For a variety of reasons.

I have also noticed that people, including myself, who are not comfortable with a procedure, tend to use it less frequently than perhaps it should be.

Sometimes I cannot decide ifit is from prudent practice or the limits of ultraspecialization. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
For sure, in a minor local injury, local should be more than fine.

But when you start dissecting deep tissue or expanding the area, I would think it is then time to perhaps escalate the type of analgesic/anesthetic.

You don't always have to go for a full procedural sedation, and I must confess i was thinking of a deep penetrating wound when I wrote that, but some versed itself can go a long way.

I aso understand Ketamine is good also, but I have never used ketamine myself.

My mentor in anesthesia likes to say, "there is no one right way to provide anesthesia, there is no one best way, but you should be comfortable with the way you use."

I think many physicians today, all over the world, significantly over estimate the risks of various procedures. For a variety of reasons.

I have also noticed that people, including myself, who are not comfortable with a procedure, tend to use it less frequently than perhaps it should be.

Sometimes I cannot decide ifit is from prudent practice or the limits of ultraspecialization. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I think the truth is about 2/3 of the way to prudent practice. There are just so many things we "can" do that prudent practice says we limit ourselves from being a jack of all trades and a master of none. At least unless it's absolutely necessary.

And you better give my kid some versed before you go pulling a stick out of his leg.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
And you better give my kid some versed before you go pulling a stick out of his leg.

Well you might want to fly over to this side of the pond for your medical treatment then.

Aside from a CT scan the US seems so risk adverse you might not get much more than that.

Even with the plane ticket it will probably be cheaper too.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
If the doctor is showing and explaining to the patient what he is doing that is one thing. but the OP made it sound like he was just holding up the needle and the scalpel; and that is not a good way to do it with anyone much less a child.