Decadron SVN

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I am just wondering if any other intermediates or medics are using Decadron (Dexamethasone) in a small volume nebulizer. We have a special skill at my EMS to us 2-4 mg SVN. We use it for respiratory distress and for high altitude related respirtatory problems. (We respond to a ski area; elevation 10,000 feet.) I have found in drug books and online that other places are using it IV push. Any comments?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
One of the local counties just added Solu-Medrol / Decadron to their protocols for Moderate to severe Asthma, IV Push. They also added Mag for Asthma.

Jon

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't know of any using decadron per neb in the field, but I use to use it a lot in the ICU units.. for larygeal swelling or severe bronchial asthma or reactions. We currently use Solu-Medrol, which is effective but take longer to absorb.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

OP
OP
R

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
We also have Solu-Medrol and Mag in our "toolbox" for respiratory distress. We generally start with albuterol and either decadron or atrovent SVN.

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
In Durham county its albuterol, atrovent, and EPI for nebs. Although in the neighboring county they have Solu-Medrol. We petitioned to get it and the medical director said no but his reason was pretty good. Apparently we can get from just about anywhere in the city to a hospital code 3 in 5-10 minutes so the Solu-Medrol wouldnt have even started working by then...so much for initiated care...