Curos Caps

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We have been instructed to start placing 3M Curos Caps on the end of our IV extensions or drip sets. Apparently they are alcohol impregnated and keep the caps clean.

Anyone else doing this in the field? I’ve never seen these used in the ED and only recognize them from central lines in the unit or floor. I am also only finding evidence that these help reduce central line infections.

If I’m ignorant and we should’ve been using these the whole time then by all means I want to know. But so far it seems like we are not using these as intended?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I haven't seen this done prehospitally or in the emergency department when I pick up patients.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I've seen them more in the ICU and some tele and med surge units in Washington and Idaho. I think there was an ER in WA that had them but I really cannot remember.

So to answer your question, no they are not common. Most places just abide by the wipe the hub for 10 seconds before you use it.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
We use them when we access ports or picc lines in the ED, but other than that not at all, and I’ve never seen them used in the field.

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I’m waiting to hear the backstory here. If it’s helpful then great. But also, if it’s only of marginal benefit, there’s lotssss of stuff we could also be buying.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So here is the latest on these gems...when they came out a few YEARS back...they were quite the rage and many facilities jumped on board and mandated them. Now, there is evidence-based studies that reveal they are of little to NO benefit, basically add cost to care and extra steps to care. So many facilities, including the one I am currently at, have ditched them everywhere except in the unit. (Might just be a feel-good measure there).

Per the manufacturer, you are STILL supposed to clean the hub when removing the curo and before using it. Hear that? The maker of the curo states proper use of their product is you STILL MUST CLEAN the hub.

Guess how many people do NOT do that? Guess how many infection rates remained the same, or in some cases, rates became worse.