Cleveland to merge fire and EMS

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I also want to make something clear, because I think based on your earlier post that it was taken the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be a **** with how I was discussing the definition of LODDs. It's an emotional issue, but when discussing policies and statistics, an issue where emotion needs to be removed.

Word

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
1 DAY? Boo! Charelston just won EMS service of the year too, I would have expected more.

Hey will you PM me and tell me about Charelston a little more in detail? I almost applied there instead of where I am now and always wondered the "what could have been"

Where I am at now, Orientation isssssss I wanna say 1 and /1/2 months - 2 months??????? FTO Time is a minimum of 40 shifts.

We have a pre testing screening process, a 3 day testing process, backgrounds, pysichals(spelt that wrong) Interviews.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13483&highlight=charleston+county+ems&page=3

Post # 28.

If you have more questions, PM me.

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I also want to make something clear, because I think based on your earlier post that it was taken the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be a **** with how I was discussing the definition of LODDs. It's an emotional issue, but when discussing policies and statistics, an issue where emotion needs to be removed.

It's cool.

Our NFPA standards came from those before us unwittingly damaging or killing themselves. Even with proper PPE, we're still getting exposures. Who's to say whether we get cancer from OTJ exposures or from something off duty? No one can tell either way, but it's possible that it was from the job. It can't be proven that it was not from the job with any certainty. Same thing for stoking out or having a massive MI OTJ. That's why it's called presumptive legislation. It was shown that the firefighter popoulation had a higher incidence of these diseases than the general population, such as the seven presumptive cancers, the cardiac issues, etc. That's where the presumptive legislation came from. This is also why we're mandated to abstain from using tobacco products as a condition of employment, undergo a yearly physical and screening, the Work Performance Evaluation, etc.

My uncle died from lung CA. He was a Union carpenter, who worked with asbestos before it was deemed dangerous. He also smoked. The cancer was legally presumed to be from the asbestos, since it could not be definitively prove that it was not.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The only thing I'll add to the LODD issue is that if you knock out the fairly large percentage of volunteers who 1)are over the age of 65 and have cardiac events 2)die in POV accidents "responding" to a scene and 3)die in homemade apparatus rollovers the numbers do look significantly different.