Changes for the Better

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Lets say someone asked you for some changes you feel would improve your department's image, morale, and service. What would you say?

Has your department/company made any changes that you feel significant improved your service?

No ones ever asked me, but I always have these "If I could do it my way" thoughts. Maybe they would help, maybe not, but I'd like to hear some actual changes that you feel have been beneficial :)

Summit

Critical Crazy
If certain people are a problem, address the problem directly instead of treating the whole corps like kids. If you treat people like kids, they will act like kids.

If employees are on for 24, 48, or 72 hour shifts, make sure that someone doesn't have to sleep on the couch in the day room (they have to be the last to bed), and permit us to sleep whenever we can instead of only during the evening and night, stop generating busy work like rewiring vehicles because "we should be working" a well rested EMT is an effective EMT and who knows when the next tones will come.

ALS should let BLS do BLS. If BLS can't do BLS, then BLS shouldn't be BLS anymore (ie, fire the incompetents even if it means understaffing).

Don't make us write down the damn drug dates *every day* if the ambulance hasn't rolled in 3 or it's the middle of the month.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I know there's a lot of disgruntlement about our turnout gear at the FD (for EMTs, not FF's). We have these great overalls and coats with zip-out liners, that are 100% waterproof and such, but they're hot as a hippo's highknee on a summers day. Hell, they're that hot in the winter. I'm hoping that new casual duty wear will help keep people happier in the warmer times.

Other than that, my radical idea for the FD is for more FF's to become EMTs, and for the EMTs I have to actually show up to drills. We're not so busy that we don't need to drill, but they seem to think they're fabulous nonetheless.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MMiz@Mar 31 2005, 12:44 AM
Lets say someone asked you for some changes you feel would improve your department's image, morale, and service. What would you say?

Fire all the officers

Paint the ambulances something other than robins egg blue.

Get rid of the "explorers"

Get rid of the "gong" and install a "Big Bertha" the 500 Horsepower Chrystler Air Raid Siren from NYC that can be heard over 15 miles.

Get rid of everything than hasn't been used in ten years, especially the stuff that was bought when the ambulance was black and dubbed as a body carrier.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Mar 31 2005, 12:44 PM
Get rid of the "gong" and install a "Big Bertha" the 500 Horsepower Chrystler Air Raid Siren from NYC that can be heard over 15 miles.
We got two awesome airhorns on our new rigs. After a week or so with the rigs, a new rule was established: "No airhorns with patients in the back"... reason being, it is so loud it scares the doodie out of the patients and that's not good for someone having an MI.

It's really fun to watch people's reactions when the lights and sirens aren't enough to get them out of our way - and we lean on the airhorn... :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Mar 31 2005, 04:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Mar 31 2005, 04:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Mar 31 2005, 12:44 PM
We got two awesome airhorns on our new rigs. After a week or so with the rigs, a new rule was established: "No airhorns with patients in the back"... reason being, it is so loud it scares the doodie out of the patients and that's not good for someone having an MI.

It's really fun to watch people's reactions when the lights and sirens aren't enough to get them out of our way - and we lean on the airhorn... :D [/b][/quote]
I think Whacker was speaking of a "House Siren"

Whacker - your neighbors will hate you for it, but GO FOR IT! If you can, get a second and set it up on YOUR roof - never hurts to have a spare :rolleyes:

But a good pair of Buell trumpets should be on any ambulance. Maybe not an E-Q2B, but definatly a good set of airhorns. Good in this case is defined as loud enough to wake the neighbors 3/4 of a mile away.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Mar 31 2005, 12:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Mar 31 2005, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Mar 31 2005, 12:44 AM

Fire all the officers
[/b][/quote]
Why? who would tell you when and how to wipe your behind?

Paint the ambulances something other than robins egg blue.

Watch Queer Eye sometime - Robin's Egg blue is making a comeback for ambulances - this year you are a visionary, next year you will be amazed - every Fire Co and transport Service will have prettly blue busses.

Get rid of the "explorers"

I could make several tasteless jokes about explorers and scouting in gerneral, But I won't. I got MY start in an exporer post. yes they are a bunch of young brats, but they are tomorrows' EMT's and Medics.

Get rid of everything than hasn't been used in ten years, especially the stuff that was bought when the ambulance was black and dubbed as a body carrier.

But the gray reeves work the same. And the Ferno Model 24's are still functional strechers. And, if you do decide to get rid of some of the stuff, EBAY works great to raise funds.

Jon

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Apr 2 2005, 06:59 AM
I think Whacker was speaking of a "House Siren"
Ah, ok. We have the air siren on the building at the FD. Nice and loud, especially when you're standing right under it!