ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Well he did almost get hit by a train.

You're not going to find me inside the crossing gates pretty much ever, especially by myself. Back towards the tracks is like having your back towards the highway with no lookout, a terrible idea.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

You're not going to find me inside the crossing gates pretty much ever, especially by myself. Back towards the tracks is like having your back towards the highway with no lookout, a terrible idea.

And if he hadn't tried to pull her out of the vehicle, what conversation would we be having?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The conversation I would be having would be something along the lines of "she drove her vehicle while in the midst of a police pursuit onto an active rail line, I'm happy no one else was hurt or killed as a result of her actions."

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also the news article does not indicate whether or not the officer succeeded in getting her out and I did not see her get out. I don't know any officer that wouldn't pull this person out at gunpoint either, and I don't think he would have time for that.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The video shows he got her partially out before he had to leave due to the second train.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Tigger explained it.

I worked for a company contracted by Union Pacific and have worked in close proximity to moving trains. Mistakes around trains cause missing limbs in the best scenario...

I'm with tigger. You die while breaking the law and running from the police that's your fault and no one else's.

If that other cop hadn't showed up we'd be talking about a LODD and you know that. Watch the video, he had no situational awareness, never even looked down the open track to make sure a train wasn't coming. Didn't evac until the other officer told him to.

...I don't know any officer that wouldn't pull this person out at gunpoint either...

He owes that second officer his life. How'd he know the occupant didn't have a gun? They don't know why she's eluding or what she has in the car with her. He's lucky he didn't get shot as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very true. Didn't seem like it even crossed his mind until the other officer pointed at the 2nd train coming. Since the only results of all this were a broken arm and a totaled car, this situation is hilarious. From the video, it definitely could've been a lot worse.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As I've mentioned before, we had a local chase which ended in a crashed suspect who was pinned in his car, with a weapon ready to shoot the officers he was screaming for help to.

I interpreted this as the first officer was near the rear looking in before he contacted the suspect/victim. Good for suspect safety, but the noise from train #1 masked the noise from train #2. Good thing officer #2 was just a little later and had a bull voice.

Take five and stay alive.
PS: The visual of that car flashing by was instructive. No reaction time could cope with that 90 degree closure rate.

Last edited by a moderator: