C cylinder dimensions...

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone who has/owns a C cylinder with regulator, can you tell me the length with regulator of the cylinder in inches please? I wanna purchase one and stuff it in this bag I own... but will it stuff? Aha, that is the question.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
The ML6

Perhaps the ML6 class will fit? I found out that the dimensions are even smaller! Can you fit a standard regulator that will put out up to 15lpm? Of course, I want the biggest cylinder that will fit hahah!

****I have about 13" of length to work with.******

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm going to be really honest with you on this one. I can understand a lot of whacker gear, but carrying around O2 is very dangerous.

I'd store it in a Pelican Case if you decide to do it.

That said, we carry O2 unsecured on the back of our cot in the ambulance.
http://www.pelican.com/

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Better get a physicians order as well. Oxygen is considered a medication and dispensing and handling it without a physicians order can be a Felony. I would leave the oxygen to the EMS units....

R/R 911

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Oh shnikeys. I forgot about all the paperwork I will have to deal with. I better consult my instructor on this one. Thanks for the heads up guys.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Go to a welding supply store, and ask for an H cylinder of USP Medical Oxygen... That's what I do. Then I buy my own cylinders new from Moore, and fill them myself. That way, there is no paper work involved. Carry the tank in something heavy duty, like a Robertshaw case, those orange plastic things. A little heavier than a bag, but safe nonetheless.

I carry a Jumbo D tank, secured to the floor of my SUV with cinch straps. That way it can't move or get thrown around, and if it does, it's secure in the case. I also have a *sticker placcard in the back window that says "Medical Oxygen On Board - 1,500PSI", and I put a star of life on it.

Most people only have a beef with whackers who carry O2, as if it is any less dangerous than something you are issued by a service... If you mishandle it, no matter where it comes from, you're screwed.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Back in 2000 I had called about 10 different medical supply places asking how much they charged for O2. Every single one said I'd need a Dr's RX.

For me, especially because I work for a private service, I have no reason or personal desire to carry O2. I don't see O2 as a necessity to a POV jump kit.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Obviously you are not a whacker then... You can rationalize the reason not to have your own personal ambulance. I like to be able to have it on hand. Never know when you'll need it.

Then again... I could have my wife give me a prescription for it. :p

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Then again, if you don't have it secured and in a container that would prevent damage in a crash... You shouldn't carry it. Your insurance wouldn't cover it if it exploded or took off and killed someone.

I have all of my cylinders in one of these:
530088.jpg

It costs about the same as a nice oxygen bag.

You can also get a nice Pelican case for the small tanks, like the DAN Diver Safety Kits...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Where would one get a case like that, the orange one?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
JJR512 said:
Where would one get a case like that, the orange one?
I got 2 old ones from a company I used to work for... they were in the back room, and hadn't been touched in years.. I asked the ops manager how much he wanted for one, he told me $20, but I had to take them both for that price ;) .... He was glad to be rid of them... I took them home, scrubbed them out, and now have a nice safe case for the O2 that I only carry when I do First Aid for things... like the Boy Scouts...

As for the oxygen cylinder..... I can't remember where I got that from.

The Demand valve? E-Bay. Masks, Airways, and O2 supplies - whatever I couldn't get from the squad came from EMP or EMS-USA.

~Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Someone who really loves their job... and likes things to be bigger and better than average.

It has no sexual meaning at all... Unless you're a perv, then knock yourself out, but >HERE< it does not reference anything bad.

There can be good whackers and bad whackers. Spelled Wackers also.

There are the whackers who have huge lights, bad egos, big bags, but no street smarts or EMS skills at all. They can be volunteer or career. I've met more paid people who don't know sh*t, and a quite a few vollies who could work them like theres no tomorrow.

Then there are those who love their job, and spend most of their lives doing it, or every waking moment thinking about it... and just have big things because they don't want to be with out a tool that could save a life.

I pulled up on an MVA once, all I carried was a box of 4x4's and a few assorted knick knacks... Boy did I wish I had something to suction with, and maintain the airway.. I used pretty much everything I had to try and save the guy, but in the end, it didn't matter because he drown in his own blood. The perfect job for one of those little suction pumps and a BVM...

And it wasn't even out on the highway, it was a tenth of a mile from the house. That's still 20.10 miles from the firehouse.. Long way for an ambulance to travel in the snow.

And of course I'm called a whacker because I had an >IMO< awesome!!! collection of Cadillac Ambulances..

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I may be on my way to becoming a whacker.

The other day, I was throwing up pretty bad. (A 24-hour stomach virus had been going around my apartment building.) As I was sitting on the bathroom floor, I was observing how my pulse and resps were elevated, my skin was cool and clammy, etc. And I was thinking about how I would treat someone I found in my own condition.