Bring the Clipboard in?

FF894

Forum Captain
We started talking about this in another thread - Do you bring in the clipboard and why do you feel that way? :unsure:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yes we do, but we don't have the big metal clipboards. We have a street form on them that prompts us to obtain all of the billing/hx/assessment info we can, especially from bystanders.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes we do. Because we need to write down information.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Of Course...

Yes, we bring it in... a better question I guess may be... "why wouldn't you?"

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Thatz kinda a weird question.. does it really matter? I never do. I remember everything in my mind and if I need to write something I write it on my gloves. I only use the clipboard at the hospital when getting pt to sign HIPAA and insurance release. No need to write down meds in the residence cause we always take the meds to the hospital with us so Ill write em down once we get there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We have pads of paper that are colated 1 page is a double sided form that assists in recording patient info and vitals, with the reverse side having the HIPPA/Transport Confirmation/Billing signature, the refusal checklist/signature, and a spot for the ED to sign for reciept of patient's property. The other page collated in is our Hippa notice... These are 8.5x11 inch pads of about 50 sheets. Often, we just use the pad, no clipboard, but we also have the low-profile metal clipboards.

I am a big fan of the low-profile metal clipboards (designed for pads of multi-part forms)... we have them at ALL the places I work/vollie (4 companies)... They are smaller than a "Posse Box" but still provide the utility of a metal clipboard.

I am a HUGE fan of the clipboard as a defensive tool... I would never use it to strike a patient, but I would throw it in the general direction of an attacker, in the hopes of giving me a little more time to run away.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i bring mine in. 99% of the time, the patient isnt ready when we get there, and while the nurse is still trying to get all the paperwork together, i fill out the run report.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I'm not a quick one to grab the clipboard either. I tend to write vitals on my gloves and then tranfer them over to the run sheet when I'm done with the call. I can't say I've had to change my gloves often on a call so I can see where that would be an issue, and really if that is the case. Usually we do vitals in the rig and jot them down as we do them. Meds we usually write down once we are at the hospital since we gather them all up and take them with us.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Very rarely did I take the clipboard in. My hands were usually full with the Lifepack and the first in bag.

I usually needed my first 10 minutes to take care of my patient. I usually started the paperwork once everything calmed down and I was in the back of the truck.

Vitals and stuff get scratched on a piece of tape on my leg or the back of a glove.

Really it would just be a personal preference.

Hey Jon,

Excelent seperation of a patient and an attacker!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If I think the call will be a refusal, lift assist only.. sure... I bring it in, on real calls it is left out in the ambulance.

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Where I work we run a lot of BS. So, I bring my clipboard in on almost every call with only a few exceptions like major trauma calls or arrests. My advice on this subject would be to use your common sense and best judgment.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Bring it in every time.

Helps get the paperwork started as well as gives me something to throw in a last ditch situation:unsure:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Bring it in. At the very very least, it makes it look like you're actually doing something. :-D

OP
OP
FF894

FF894

Forum Captain
Thatz kinda a weird question.. does it really matter? I never do. I remember everything in my mind and if I need to write something I write it on my gloves. I only use the clipboard at the hospital when getting pt to sign HIPAA and insurance release. No need to write down meds in the residence cause we always take the meds to the hospital with us so Ill write em down once we get there.

I started the thread cause it came up in another one - about being able to remember the info or how you took it down ie: glove, note pad, etc...

I don't let my crew bring in the clipboard. If you are holding a clipboard thats A: one hand you can't use to carry something else and B: most people holding a clipboard don't do anything more than act as a scribe taking down 100 notes instead of treating the patient.

OP
OP
FF894

FF894

Forum Captain
Yes, we bring it in... a better question I guess may be... "why wouldn't you?"

I never bring it and don't allow my crew to. What does the clipboard do to help the situation? Nothing other than the ability to write down the vitals. I write those on my glove or on my taped leg and xfer them to the run sheet later. Only reason you would need something from the clipboard while on scene is a refusal form if you aren't going to take them. I am happy walking the ten steps back to the truck to return the first in bag and get the clipboard once I know its going to be a refusal.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our service brings it in every time. Usually a Paramedic First Responder will bring it in and start the paperwork with the pt's first and last name. Then an ALS unit shows up, helps out, and one of them fills it out while the other two medics work the patient.

On the BLS level I can't think of a situation where we don't need it. I always get all of my pt information while the partner grabs a BP and HIPAA.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Come to think of it....I don't think we have one on our truck.

We use the FF. The FF is a very useful tool. The FF will carry your bags, lift your stretcher, load the patient, and give you a hug. The FF is oh so handsome. Sometimes the FF even smells nice. I would not recommend trying to pick up the FF and throw him in the event of an attacker. However, the FF can be an even more useful tool in that event, in sometimes they will throw themselves.

Seriously though...we use PDAs that are downloaded into a computer program and sent. Our refusals are done on them as well. The FDs still do paper reports, so they will have their clipboard with Fire Run sheet. They give us a copy.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey Jon,

Excelent seperation of a patient and an attacker!!

Yeah...

They are a patient only when they are injured and needed aid.... If they decide to attack me, they are an attacker, I'll defend myself and "Subject" is TOT PD, and/or transported as a patient AFTER the PD has subdued them....

I'm not exactly sure how to say it, but at some point, a patient is no longer a "patient" but a threat that needs to be handeled.

Also... there can be other attackers onscene other than the "patient" Relatives, the person who just beat the crap out of my patient, etc.

Jon