BLS to ALS

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Suppose I want to become a paramedic. I'm in EMT-B training now. Should I go into ALS training as soon as possible after getting out of BLS training, or should I wait a while, spend some time working as an EMT-B first?

On the one hand, I get all the training out of the way as quickly as possible, and as the ALS training builds on the BLS training, the BLS training will be fresh in mind. On the other hand, if I work as an EMT-B first for a while, I gain experience and make sure it's what I really want to do.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless you are extremely intelligent and have a massive ammount of common sense to go with it, dont be a Zero to Hero...

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
In California, you have to have a minimum of 6 months experience as an EMT before you can even apply to Paramedic school per state law. Many programs, however, require a full year, and if there's a waiting list give precedence to those with the longest experience.

natrab

Forum Crew Member
Are you sure of that SafetyPro? I don't think that it's a mandated requirement, as I know a few paramedics who made it there without ever working as an EMT. It's highly recommended though.

If you go straight to medic school you will start out as a clueless medic. You can learn how calls are run as an EMT and generally get a good knowlege base. Try to work in a 911 system with another paramedic if you can. That's what I did and I feel like I have a huge advantage in my medic class (since a lot of my class is made up of people who've never worked in the field).

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
coloradoemt said:
Unless you are extremely intelligent and have a massive ammount of common sense to go with it, dont be a Zero to Hero...
I actually am pretty intelligent, and I mean that in the most non-bragging, factual way possible. However, my sense is more uncommon than common. :D
SafetyPro said:
In California, you have to have a minimum of 6 months experience as an EMT before you can even apply to Paramedic school per state law. Many programs, however, require a full year, and if there's a waiting list give precedence to those with the longest experience.
Not a concern here in MD; there's no such requirement.
natrab said:
Are you sure of that SafetyPro? I don't think that it's a mandated requirement, as I know a few paramedics who made it there without ever working as an EMT. It's highly recommended though.

If you go straight to medic school you will start out as a clueless medic. You can learn how calls are run as an EMT and generally get a good knowlege base. Try to work in a 911 system with another paramedic if you can. That's what I did and I feel like I have a huge advantage in my medic class (since a lot of my class is made up of people who've never worked in the field).
Unfortunately, my fire station is all BLS. My county has recently changed the way calls are handled, in terms of what types of units respond to what types of calls. I don't actually know how it used to be, and I'm not clear on what the deal is now (because I'm only in training and not riding). But I'm pretty sure it's not likely to change anytime soon that my station is BLS-only. Part of the reason for that is the fact that it's a relatively small first-due area, and every station surrounding it is ALS-equipped, so when an ALS response or rendezvous is needed, the closed one will be dispatched from another station. So I won't get to be teamed up with a paramedic. I may later on change stations, so that could change for me.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been thinking about this some more, and I understand the benefit of getting my feet wet and practicing what I've been taught so far before going on to the next step of training. But I feel kind of stupid for asking this question, because it only just now occurred to me that since paramedic training will take about a year and a half, I can be getting a lot of street experience as an EMT-B in the meantime, during EMT-P training. So I guess that basically solves my dilema: Jump into the next level of training, and get experience with my current training, both at the same time!

VinBin

Forum Captain
Yea, thats kinda what Im doing now...except it was around 6months after my EMT-B class that I started Paramedic class...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
From experience... spend some time in the field. NOT doing BLS transport work.... Either drive a medic or do 911 stuff.... otherwise you will have a steep learning curve on day #1 of medic school.

Jon

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
From experience... spend some time in the field. NOT doing BLS transport work.... Either drive a medic or do 911 stuff.... otherwise you will have a steep learning curve on day #1 of medic school.

Jon
If by "BLS transport work" you mean non-emergency transport from one hospital or other medical facility or institution to another, I won't be doing any of that. That's mostly handled by the private ambulance companies around here. As a volunteer fire department member, the only thing I'll be doing is what I assume you mean by "911 stuff", responding to calls that come in through the 911 system, from sick person to an MVA MCI.

Even if I go to medic school as soon as possible, it won't be until the fall college semester starts, but I'll be out of EMT-B class in the middle of June, so I'll at least have a few months before I'm doing both at the same time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
JJR512 said:
If by "BLS transport work" you mean non-emergency transport from one hospital or other medical facility or institution to another, I won't be doing any of that. That's mostly handled by the private ambulance companies around here. As a volunteer fire department member, the only thing I'll be doing is what I assume you mean by "911 stuff", responding to calls that come in through the 911 system, from sick person to an MVA MCI.

Exactly.

I used to earn my money doing transport, but spent 12 hours a week volunteering 911 BLS (With ALS intercept). When you run in a good 911 system (or even ALS transport) the medics will usually teach you lots of stuff that "helps" them - spiking IV bags, checking BgL (depends on state law<_< :rolleyes: ) and hooking up the monitor. Most non-invasive "ALS" skills can be mostly done by an EMT with medic supervision. (The EMT attaches the monitor, the medic reads the monitor, the EMT spikes the IV bag, the medic starts the IV, etc).

podmedic@mac.com

Forum Crew Member
I agree about letting eager EMT-B's help. I will make use of any extra pair of hands I can find. I like answering questions and when it hits the fan, it's nice to know what to expect from the crew you upgrade.

Where I am in MD, the medical director requires a year of transport experience or 100 pts transported, whichever comes first, before you can post for a spot in the local program.

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
hey there,
i can understand your eagerness to progress from bls to als however (IMO) there is a reason most places require a certain amount of experience prior to becoming a medic. there is a big difference between being a book medic & being a street medic.

my questions to you are: why the big rush? isn't it best to be comfortable in a position before progressing to the next level of training?
do you put your patients care first? what is your true motivation for being a paramedic? **these are not questions for you to answer in this forum..just stuff to really think about**

being a paramedic means being the one who is ultimately responsible for patient care in the field -- your emt screws up its your *** -- and these are people's lives we deal with (to quote my old emt teacher: "this is NOT algebra people and i don't want you coming to my house to treat my family if you don't take this seriously")

i'm not saying you can't go straight from bls to als -- i don't intend this to bash you in any way -- but being a paramedic is not only about US but its about who we treat and we MUST do what will be best for their care and one year in the field with an als provider (even part time) will give anyone a greater understanding of this field/protocols/pt care/delegation/confidence (not cockiness)/

i kinda think of it as...we don't go from "b" without fixing "a" right? as an emt i don't wanna work with a medic who is less than well-versed about my job/responsibilities/protocols...

ok off my high horse for the night

i hope whichever decision you make turns out to be the right one

good luck
~kb

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
podmedic@mac.com said:
I agree about letting eager EMT-B's help. I will make use of any extra pair of hands I can find. I like answering questions and when it hits the fan, it's nice to know what to expect from the crew you upgrade.

Where I am in MD, the medical director requires a year of transport experience or 100 pts transported, whichever comes first, before you can post for a spot in the local program.

Welcome to EMT LIFE Dot Com... I'm here b/c that's the only LIFE I have... ha ha ha.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
podmedic@mac.com said:

Welcome to EMTLife--- we but the Fun in Dysfunction.

Jon