Birth Scenario Multiple Choice

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
While transporting a woman 8 months' pregnant with her first child, she says she feels the need to push. Upon examining her, you see one of the infant's arms hanging from the vaginal opening. What should you do as a EMT-Basic?

A: Go ahead and deliver the infant in the ambulance.

B: Gently push the infant's arm back into the birth canal and rapidly transport the mother to the emergency department.

C: Adjust the stretcher so that the mother's pelvis is higher than her head, tell her to do her best not to push, and rapidly transport.

D: Leave the mother as is, tell her not to push, and rapidly transport.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I am going with C: but then again im not yet an EMT-B.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd go with C. You cover the area with a sterile cloth, elevate the pelvis, give O2 via NRB, and priority transport.

Edit:
How are you going to go with A? This patient needs a highly trained surgeon, not an EMT-Basic.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Its C.

You cannot safely deliver this child. This patient needs a C-Section.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Its C.

You cannot safely deliver this child. This patient needs a C-Section.

I just thought that the baby would be at risk of dying, guess I need to wait till after the course to attempt these questions :rolleyes: Also do doctors do C-Sections when the baby is already presenting.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I just thought that the baby would be at risk of dying, guess I need to wait till after the course to attempt these questions :rolleyes: Also do doctors do C-Sections when the baby is already presenting.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be pissy with my response. Yes, they would perform an emergency c-section if this presented in the hospital.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
C is correct. A limb presentation is challenging to manage.

B is wrong. If something comes out... don't push it back in... this goes for eviscerations AND births.

The only exception to "don't push it back" is if the head presents with the cord around the neck. Push the baby back slightly to try to remove tension, and pass it over the head... or cut it.

Jon

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
E. grab the arm and pull.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
C is correct. A limb presentation is challenging to manage.

B is wrong. If something comes out... don't push it back in... this goes for eviscerations AND births.

The only exception to "don't push it back" is if the head presents with the cord around the neck. Push the baby back slightly to try to remove tension, and pass it over the head... or cut it.

Jon

Cut it.....Never taught that. We were always told to put steril gloves on and hold the face of the infant and get a finger underneath the cord if possible. Or you can try to get the dord from around the head.

I have also delivered a child in the back of an ambulance with the arm presenting first. It is challenging but can be done still. Sometimes first time mothers won't stop pushing.

MDKEMT

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Cut it.....Never taught that. We were always told to put steril gloves on and hold the face of the infant and get a finger underneath the cord if possible. Or you can try to get the dord from around the head.

I have also delivered a child in the back of an ambulance with the arm presenting first. It is challenging but can be done still. Sometimes first time mothers won't stop pushing.

MDKEMT
MDK... I retract my statement... at least until I can review my info. - I'm not sure where I heard that.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief

MDKEMT

Cutting it is an option, if you cannot get the cord from around the neck.

Also do doctors do C-Sections when the baby is already presenting.

Yes. Especially when it is the safer option.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Not necessarily a c-section but definitely a high risk delivery. Go fast... very very fast......

mikie

Forum Lurker
our protocol for limb presentation births is RAPID TRANSPORT......the lil thing ain't coming out right without more advanced interventions

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember, if you cut the cord one MUST deliver within a few minutes, that is why it is NOT recommended to do so, unless you can perform an emergency C-section. ( I don't think anyone on this site is).

One of the NREMT questions is .."when is it allowable to place the EMT's finger into the birth canal?..." this is one of those times...

Make a V separating the wall of the vagina and release as much pressure off the cord.. and yes, place wings on the side of the truck...

R/r 911

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It's gotta be C. Correct treatment for Limb presentation is to prevent the birth and go hot to the hospital. Never push anything back in, and certainly don't try to deliver, you don't have the skills to do so.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
The only exception to "don't push it back" is if the head presents with the cord around the neck.
Jon

Arn't you supposed to push the cord back in if it presents without the baby?