best places or shortest programs for Paramedic School?

lapsedEMTthrow

Forum Ride Along
Currently working as a Public Health Nurse, have 0 clinical experience as a nurse (didn't want to do med surg). Previously worked as an EMT doing IFT for 2-3 years. Thinking of going back to paramedic school and working as a paramedic for a few years for the clinical experience. I am willing to relocate almost anywhere in the country for paramedic school.

I'm looking for a good school I can complete in 1 year or less.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you still an EMT? I mean based on what you wrote, you have no hands on patient encounters for many years, is this accurate?

My best advice would be go through EMT school again. If you still have a license, then do a refresher. I would think any paramedic school is going to require this anyways. After getting an updated EMT license, seek a service that does 911 response.

There are plenty of places where you could do a zero to hero program. And with all the current medical staffing shortages and your prior experience, you shouldn’t have an issue getting in.

But why paramedic? You are already a RN. You could easily get hired darn near anywhere and be trained in whatever specialty you want.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
depends on where you are. You might be able to take a transition course. NREMT has a program of advanced placement to allow for professional licensed providers to gain registry certification. This involves skills verification at an accredited Ed Institute and the NREMT cognitive and psychomotor exam

In PA, RMs can become PHRNs, (yeah, pre hospital RN is a thing here) allowing them to function as paramedics with an advanced scope. That requires the NREMT cognitive taken as an assessment and the EMT psychomotor exam. There’s no class requirements, but most nurses take one.

OP
OP
L

lapsedEMTthrow

Forum Ride Along
Are you still an EMT? I mean based on what you wrote, you have no hands on patient encounters for many years, is this accurate?
Correct

My best advice would be go through EMT school again. If you still have a license, then do a refresher. I would think any paramedic school is going to require this anyways. After getting an updated EMT license, seek a service that does 911 response.
I've done the refresher every time I had to recert my CA EMT. I have to double check the requirements but it hasn't been too long since I let my cert lapse. If I have to go through EMT school again instead of simply taking the cognitive and psychomotor, I won't pursue this any further.

There are plenty of places where you could do a zero to hero program. And with all the current medical staffing shortages and your prior experience, you shouldn’t have an issue getting in.

But why paramedic? You are already a RN. You could easily get hired darn near anywhere and be trained in whatever specialty you want.
Not in CA, I would have to relocate and get hired into a new grad RN program or something similar.

OP
OP
L

lapsedEMTthrow

Forum Ride Along
depends on where you are. You might be able to take a transition course. NREMT has a program of advanced placement to allow for professional licensed providers to gain registry certification. This involves skills verification at an accredited Ed Institute and the NREMT cognitive and psychomotor exam

In PA, RMs can become PHRNs, (yeah, pre hospital RN is a thing here) allowing them to function as paramedics with an advanced scope. That requires the NREMT cognitive taken as an assessment and the EMT psychomotor exam. There’s no class requirements, but most nurses take one.

Very interesting, the course sounds appealing and something I'll do further research on to see if it fits what I'm looking for.