Any ER techs out there ?

certguy

Forum Captain
Hey guys , I'm just about to start as an ER tech . How different is the ER from the field ? Got any pointers ? I'm looking forward to it . I plan on being a sponge .

Craig

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hey guys , I'm just about to start as an ER tech . How different is the ER from the field ? Got any pointers ? I'm looking forward to it . I plan on being a sponge .

Craig

Field versus ER? Very different. Er you have many patients to deal with at once. Field you usually have 1. In the ER you have a nurse as a supervisor. In the field, you are usually on your own. In the fied you can run errands. In the ER, your in the ER.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends upon the job description. Be sure to read and understand it thoroughly. Some ER's require one to perform VP's to catherizations, to others only allow to assist in getting vital signs, it all depends upon the institutions policies.

Remember, that it is a team event but unfortunately tech.'s position is at the bottom of the ladder.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Keep an open mind. You are not in the field but in a hospital system with a lot players and that requires teamwork. Everybody on that team from outside of the ED also have other responsibilities to patients throughout the hospital and are sometimes rushed to where they may seem rude at times. It takes understanding that you will also become one of them as you will no longer have 1:1 patient contact. Everyone may want a piece of you all at once. Time management, accuracy and maintaining good infection control between will become part of your skill set. Be kind to others that may have rushed in from several floors away to take an X-Ray or set up a vent. The same goes for nurses who are trying to coordinate 10 different procedures on his/her 4 patients with 10 departments all at once while talking to 5 different doctors. You will also learn to be their ears and eyes for the patients the may even appear to be directly in sight but are surrounded by distractions.

You will learn alot from others. Yes, your field experience was good but not it is time to see what other providers are also seeing. Disease processes that you thing may be pretty straight forward are actually symptoms of a bigger picture and while acute management is taking place, other diagnostics must be done. Things may move very quickly or you might think "what are they waiting for...its gotta be CHF". In the controlled setting of the hospital, you can provide the basic emergent care but a differential diagnosis will provide definitive care without creating more problems. This is where you will learn how complex one disease process can be. You will also learn that there can be many body systems causing one particular symptom which happens to be CHF.

The technical skills will vary. The beauty about being in the hospital is your EMT certification is not your scope of practice. The hospital will train you for anything they want as long as it doen't require a license. Of course you already know that CA wants the phlebotomy certificate. You can also pick up some training for ortho, the OR and EKG also. Take advantage of any training or classes offered.

You may be busy and if you are good at what you do you'll be even busier. Even if the tasks seem trite they are important to keep the system running. Even an unmade bed can slow the ED process. The other staff will use and depend on you. That can be both good and bad. If you are a team player, you'll enjoy it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
ER Techs, a.k.a. EMT's ED Style!

Besides working at the college, I also work in a very busy ER as a tech. It is true, you do not have the lights and sirens but the acuteness of the patients that are received does not change. Besides receiving patients from the ambulances, flight choppers, POV's and walk-ins, we also have the triage area. There is anything from cough and colds to AMI's, dialysis patients, CHF, gunshot, stabbings, OD's, child birth and everything else that a 911 car would respond to. Besides the bedside or in this case "gurney side" care given to the patient, I preform EKG's, wound care, vital signs, point of care testing, i.e. UA's, pregancy testing, accuchecks,assist the MD or nurse with procedures. When a patient arrests, I am there doing CPR. Yes, I am under the supervison of a nurse and for that fact, the ER doctor, but in the field the EMT is under the supervison of the paramedic which in turn is under the supervision of the base station MD and the county medical directer. It is true what RID and Vent said, so much can be learned and this does open up many doors to the medical field. By the way, I do not mind going to the lab, sometimes it is a welcome mini break from the 911 madness! Hope this helps! ;)

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Thanks for the advice guys , I'm looking forward to it . I like driving bus , but I miss EMS and doing something a bit more challenging . Besisdes , where else can you go to work in your jammies ( scrubs ) ? LOL

Craig