accelerated paramedic question

joey1078

Forum Ride Along
i am a emt-b live in the ohio are and am look for an accellerated paramedic program in the ohio/pa. many thanks
joevoros@gmail.com

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, they have hit every EMS forum with the same question. I doubt they will like the answers they will receive, since most medics have little respect for "shake & bake" courses....

R/r 911

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
but it's ok for the emt-i cric to create mini-medics , and for each state to adopt what it likes to totally alienate us from each other?

seems the dot's big on shake & bake ems recipees Ryder

~S~

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
It's kind of like the Virginia system. We used to have EMT-Cardiac Technician and EMT-Shock Trauma. Now we have EMT-Intermediate and EMT-Enhanced.

The Intermediate and Cardiac Technician protocols are exactly like the Paramedic protocols with the exception of doing RSI. The Enhanced and Shock Trauma is like the traditional intermediates we think of. You can get your Intermediate or Cardiac with less than half the hours it takes to get your paramedic.

I'm convinced the state does it this way to provide more ALS coverage which saves the state money because it allows you have a lot more volunteer ALS. If we didn't have so many volunteers then the state would have to foot the bill.

OP
OP
joey1078

joey1078

Forum Ride Along
Regarding Multiple Posts

It was not my intention to display multiple posts. I was experiencing some problems with my browser and could not locate my fist posts until I received an email response notification. Apologizes I tried to remove the earlier ones without success.
Thanks for the input.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It's kind of like the Virginia system. We used to have EMT-Cardiac Technician and EMT-Shock Trauma. Now we have EMT-Intermediate and EMT-Enhanced.

The Intermediate and Cardiac Technician protocols are exactly like the Paramedic protocols with the exception of doing RSI. The Enhanced and Shock Trauma is like the traditional intermediates we think of. You can get your Intermediate or Cardiac with less than half the hours it takes to get your paramedic.

I'm convinced the state does it this way to provide more ALS coverage which saves the state money because it allows you have a lot more volunteer ALS. If we didn't have so many volunteers then the state would have to foot the bill.

I like the quote I posted earlier ...."It is a disclaimer in an attempt to garner credibility and respect. If you want to be the something you are trying to equal yourself to, then go to school ! Otherwise, don't try to convince the rest of the world that you are something that you are not.

For example, if you are an EMT-CC or EMT/I that can utilize 90% of the skillset of a Paramedic with only 50% of the education, who would you rather have treat you or your family?

You can train any lay person to start an I.V, intubate, decompress a chest or give any plethora of medications (training) versus teaching that person the who, what, where, when, why and how to come to the decision to do it (education)....."

Shame the state rather go 50%,75% to 90% than just to do it right the first time.

Just inquiring, why would the state have to "foot" any of the expenses ?

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Just inquiring, why would the state have to "foot" any of the expenses ?

This is just my opinion, but it is what I think.

If you change the intermediate level to a normal intermediate(national registry standards), then the state would lose probably 70% of its rural ALS. Then there would probably be a public outcry because the level of care would drop drastically. The state would then be obligated to change to a system like NC, where there is a law saying the state must provide adequate EMS Systems.Which in turn created 3rd service agencies in every county. Right now, the state gets by comparably cheap thanks to all of the volunteer agencies.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Aww... I see.. You know, that really hurts the profession as well as patient care. It is not I am personally against the multiple level of EMT's quite the contrary. I believe they are getting used... for acting as a Paramedic for cheap wages. We have EMT/I (85) and used to have EMT/ Cardiac (EMT/I-99) but the medics and others banned together to abolish the cardiac level.
We had found it was nothing more than a ploy to get Paramedic type care at cheap costs... in reality, the extra semester or two is nominal in costs.

What many tend to forget EMS can charge and states can claim they have "ALS" lower levels, but still can receive the Federal grants, and the benefits... it's not right or fair to the EMT/I and the patient.

I have learned through trials and errors, anytime you shortchange anything you will get what you pay for.....

R/r 911

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Doctors used to do housecalls until ems came along Ryder, so by your rationale we could claim that your ilk is screwing them out of a buck here as well

but hey, you get what you pay for right?

~S~

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi Joey! I am just curious, why do you want to go to a accelerated paramedic program?:)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Hi Joey! I am just curious, why do you want to go to a accelerated paramedic program?:)

Maybe for scheduling reasons? I wish I could find a *longer* Paramedic class around here because I work full time during the week.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Fm EMT, I would like a longer program so my tired old brains could absorb the materials better!!:wacko: :)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Hey Fm EMT, I would like a longer program so my tired old brains could absorb the materials better!!:wacko: :)

Hah, yeah, that too. I'd rather absorb the information over a longer period of time. We only have a couple programs around here and the one that's closest to me would require me to quit my full time job to go through. I could do night school for an extra 6 months, but can't go off and quit. Got rent to pay ($1600/mo for a 1br!) and other bills and stuff.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I'm still waiting for that patient that will bless me with a ton of money for school and living expensives because I gave such awesome care in the field and wants to help me reach my dream! ha! ha!:p :p :p Well, one can dream and there is always Mastercard......:wacko:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yeah, I'm still waiting for that patient that will bless me with a ton of money for school and living expensives because I gave such awesome care in the field and wants to help me reach my dream! ha! ha!:p :p :p Well, one can dream and there is always Mastercard......:wacko:

Not for me. My credit sucks. And my almost-fiancee doesn't make enough to support both of us while I quit my computer gig and go to school. :p

Fortunately the hours are very flexible and I can work at my part-time EMS job, but I still can't quit the full time job. :|

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
For example, if you are an EMT-CC or EMT/I that can utilize 90% of the skillset of a Paramedic with only 50% of the education, who would you rather have treat you or your family?
QUOTE]

While I see your point, I have to disagree with you. To expect every EMS person to become a paramedic is not reasonable. Not all of us have that kind of time or desire. I intend to become an EMT-E at some point in the near future, but to juggle college, work, and EMT-P training is not a reasonable expectation.

To answer your question, I would want the best EMT or Medic available to treat me or my family. And realistically, the odds of getting a paramedic aren't always that great, especially in rural areas. There are also paramedics that I wouldn't let touch me, but basics that I would (literally) trust with my life.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Doctors used to do housecalls until ems came along Ryder, so by your rationale we could claim that your ilk is screwing them out of a buck here as well

but hey, you get what you pay for right?

~S~

I don't know what century you are living in, it is very obvious you do not deal or know healthcare industry very well, or how medicine is.. just an observer.

The "white papers" which was designed in 1964 that estbalished EMS (No.64 on a list of 150 items) actually proposed physicians to ride in ambulances. Physicians seemed it was much easier to "train" funeral home attendents, fire department first aid squads to "safely remove" people from autos.

Thus the development of EMS. Yes, physicians in some ares make house calls although rare, as well now most do not even make rounds in hospitals and have hospitalist physicians perform those tasks.

I guess you are as well against any profit to companies or personal that are in healthcare. Sorry, health care industry is a business, just like Wal-Mart, Bass Pro Shops, etc.. but no one knocks them down trying to earn a buck.

What amazes me of those with such opinions usually have never worked a day in a hospital or see five to ten patients a week and consider themselves
an expert.

R/r 911

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Speaking of Docs on an Ambulance. One system that I work for has an OMD who will Show up on a scene and ride in with you. He will provide care on an ambulance as a volly. So yes some Doc's do make "House Calls" today.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi fm emt! If I run up a credit card for school I would never get it payed off:wacko: I think that commericals are so cruel! boo hoo!:sad: