Acadian Hiring Process

seanmh84

Forum Probie
I am currently in the process with Acadian Ambulance in San Antonio Texas. Does anyone know how long it takes to complete the entire process and start working?

OP
OP
S

seanmh84

Forum Probie
I have an interview scheduled for next week, I am just concerned that the rest of the process will take a while, especially the backgournd check.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
The time varies. I know some that were in orientation within 1-2 weeks and others that were 3-4 weeks. Once hired you have 1 week of orientation in Austin then 5 12hr clearing rides. If you're a paramedic there are 14 more 12hr clearing rides. I know it's kinda long but stick with it. My wife and i have been here 7 years and love it.

OP
OP
S

seanmh84

Forum Probie
Thank you, I do hope that after the interview the process only takes a week or two. At this time I am an EMT Basic and I am in the recertification process for my paramedic. So hopefully I can get on as a basic and move up.

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
Keep us updated with the process. Im wanting to apply with Acadian once I finish my paramedic classes. Either Austin or San Antonio. Good luck!

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
The time varies. I know some that were in orientation within 1-2 weeks and others that were 3-4 weeks. Once hired you have 1 week of orientation in Austin then 5 12hr clearing rides. If you're a paramedic there are 14 more 12hr clearing rides. I know it's kinda long but stick with it. My wife and i have been here 7 years and love it.

7 years? Has Acadian been around here that long?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
They just came into texas. They have been around since late 60's, early 70's.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Acadian started around 1972ish in Lafayette LA. Bexar County started in Dec 08 with the Southwest acquisition. The Bexar County 911'started May 09. Now we are doing the county and about 12 municipalities in the county. My wife and I started in our Mississippi area back in 03 and transferred here summer 09.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
How is the relationship with San Antonio Fire?

I would say it's good. We cover different areas though. SAFD does the city and we have the areas outside the city but we work well together on the occasions that we do. We have a bariatric unit with ramps and a winch for loading that they request regularly.