83 y/o N/V + Fever

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't want your car towed to an auto mechanic, you don't call a tow truck. If you don't want to be treated at a hospital, you don't call EMS. Pretty simple.
I would very much like to hear your explanation for saying this. As I said twice, 911 may be called in error for many reasons, and the simple fact that 911 was called does not mean that the actual patient needs, or wants our help. Here you would seem to be saying the opposite.

Until you can explain why you said that I've got nothing else to say to you.

edit: I'm also still waiting for you to point out where I've said that a patient should be forced to go to the hospital, as you accused me of saying in your last post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Here it is.

This is not black and white.

This is not a yes or no thing

You, as a medical provider have to make a judgement call on what you think the patients wishes are. If I show up on scene with an unresponsive patient, and family is on scene, and I have reason to believe the family knows what this patient would want done in this situation, then I am going to do what the family wants, if that's no interventions at all other than a bit of O2 and a ride to the hospital that is fine with me.

I am not legally, morally, or ethically obligated to treat a patient to the fullest extent that I can, If I have the belief that the patients wishes would not have me treat them to the fullest extent. Those can be verbally expressed by the patient, or through a patient advocate that I believe is reputable (such as a family member).

Everyone always talks about expressed consent to treat, that does not mean we can treat the patient to the fullest extent if they are altered or unresponsive. It simply gives us the power to treat the patient as we think they would want to be treated in these situations.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here it is.

This is not black and white.

This is not a yes or no thing

You, as a medical provider have to make a judgement call on what you think the patients wishes are. If I show up on scene with an unresponsive patient, and family is on scene, and I have reason to believe the family knows what this patient would want done in this situation, then I am going to do what the family wants, if that's no interventions at all other than a bit of O2 and a ride to the hospital that is fine with me.

I am not legally, morally, or ethically obligated to treat a patient to the fullest extent that I can, If I have the belief that the patients wishes would not have me treat them to the fullest extent. Those can be verbally expressed by the patient, or through a patient advocate that I believe is reputable (such as a family member).

Everyone always talks about expressed consent to treat, that does not mean we can treat the patient to the fullest extent if they are altered or unresponsive. It simply gives us the power to treat the patient as we think they would want to be treated in these situations.

I believe you're looking for implied consent in the instance of an altered or unresponsive patient.