12-Lead ECG

Cross924

Forum Ride Along
We are getting ready to start covering 12-leads in class and I would really like some help before I get there. I'm looking for any pointers or any tips or shortcuts that anyone might know or might have found that can help me interpret a 12-lead.

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
rid, I've searched your posts and have pulled so many useful links that you have given that either teaches me something new or expands on what I already have.

Thanks

Zippo1969

Forum Probie
It's always a good idea to really brush up on your cardiac A&P before taking any 12 lead class - having the physiology fresh in your mind will help you understand the different types of MI and their associated 'quirks'.

Also, not sure where you're from, but here in MO Bob Page teaches an excellent course on 12 leads, and has a book out too -
check out:
www.multileadmedics.com

mikie

Forum Lurker
ok, he's my dumb question du jour...

why are there only 10 leads? (LL, RL, LA, RA, V1-V6=10, right?)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Because those 10 leads give you 12 views of the heart...a 12 lead.

Lead I
Lead II
Lead III
AVR
AVL
AVF
V1
V2
V3
V4
V5
V6

Zippo1969

Forum Probie
4+6=12?!?!

ok, he's my dumb question du jour...

why are there only 10 leads? (LL, RL, LA, RA, V1-V6=10, right?)

3 leads (limb leads) I, II, III
6 Vector leads - V1-V6
3 Augmented voltage (aV) leads - aVR(right), aVL(left), and aVF(foot).

3+3+6=12 views

the green RL (right leg) lead is there for the aug leads, these leads are a summation of the other leads, and essentially form a set of axes 60° apart but are rotated 30° from the axes of the standard limb leads (I, II, III).

JELM99

Forum Probie
If you can take a 12-Lead class Tim Phalen do it. He is great. Speaks wonderfully, and really breaks things down for you. A very accomidating person to learn from.

He taught a janitor at a slow hospital in Florida to read them.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Bop Page has an excellent book on it.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Gonna take off from Zippos reply.... ( as this is how I finally got it thru my thick head )

If you know where the Chest leads go ( V leads ), you know that explains 6 leads.

The other 6 views are from the 3 leads we all commonly use. Thru those 3 leads, it mixes the way the signal is sent for the views ( forward signal for leads 1-3, backwards ( with some tweaks ) for the other 3 views )

There are your 6 views.

Lead 1 = RA + LA
Lead 2 = RA + LL
Lead 3 = LA + LL

AVR,AVL and AVF uses these same 3 leads to augment the last 3 views.

( the RL lead is typically a ground only... thats it. )

FF894

Forum Captain
"lead" is a common misconception. The lead is the view, not the actual electrodes. Often those two are used improperly. You can hand me the electrodes but not the leads; the leads are what one views on the monitor.

FF894

Forum Captain
Oops, one last thought - Hence "12-Lead" "16-Lead" etc. 12 views, 16 views respectively. Thats why you "look at lead II"

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Seconding RAPID INTERPRETATION OF EKGs...

Later!

--Coop

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Basic Arrhythmias by Gail Walraven. Not a great price but it's a nice book. Software is a little iffy though.