Would you work for this company?

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
I started at this company a month ago, I know I know a month? I'm strickly doing IFT's and would really like to be doing 911. My schedule is Monday thru Friday 12-8. However since I'm the last crew to come on, my shift is always canceled because a rig is always in the shop. This is getting frustrating, because I want to work. Every rig I've worked on has been unreliable. I hate going into work feeling like my rig is going to die.
Rigs 101 and 102: Leak when it rains hard, plus if you turn them off they sometimes wont start, so you have to place a paper clip inside this hole and reset it. Once the emergency start light goes off you can try and start them back up.

Rig 205: has to be jump started before every shift, and you can't turn the air off in the back.

Rig 401: I feel like is going to die once it's been running 6 hours. It sounds like the distributor isnt functioning or it's not getting enough gas, and then gets a burst of gas and speeds up.

Rig 402: Has an electrical short so when you turn the head lights on it constantly dings at you.

I havent been in the other rigs but I've heard that they all have there own problems. Some rigs dont have hooks to catch the gurneys. Our gurneys are a whole other problem.

Last month our paychecks bounced, and others had a few days missing off their checks. I'm really starting to second guess who I went to work for. We don't get paid for the full 24 hours, we only get paid 16.

So my question is, should I stick it out and get more "experience" before I go apply somewhere else. Or should I start looking now. I'm afriad people will see I only worked at this company for a month and not want to hire me. I'm beyond frustrated with this company already. i love the people, but they are in need of some serious equipment upgrades.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Before you read this, bear in mind that this is coming from an outsider to the EMS world.

I would say it's never too early to look for another job, with the way the job market is now (at least here) you will in no way suffer by applying at other companies. Who knows, it may be months until you find another one.

EDIT to add: BTW, if you've only had the job for a month, I would say don't even put it on your application(s), as yes, that will look bad. I currently work in a grocery store and I'm the hiring supervisor. Whever I see extremely short term jobs on an application it is a red flag of sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Start looking. I'm kinda of "meh" about the units (oh noes, your ambulance in So Cal leaks in the rain... :p). In general the later shifts will always get shafted when it comes to ambulances since all of the earlier crews get their picks.

The entire paycheck, missing days, only paid part of the 24, in addition to the quality of ambulances, are all excellent. Definitely be prepared to talk about why you're leaving after a month. You might even want to consider a quick signed note with your application when you turn it in explaining why you're there only 1 month and already looking.

JPINFV

Gadfly
EDIT to add: BTW, if you've only had the job for a month, I would say don't even put it on your application(s), as yes, that will look bad. I currently work in a grocery store and I'm the hiring supervisor. Whever I see extremely short term jobs on an application it is a red flag of sorts.

Lying on the application gives an automatic for cause termination option if the company chooses to exercise it.

OP
OP
emtCourt31

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
I was expecting you to respond lol. I should have just sent you a personal message instead.

So a letter with the application. Got it.

My friend works for Doctors, shes going to try and get me an interview. Fingers crossed.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Well i guess it was a blessing they didnt hire me at that company.....

*Cough* Shoreline *Cough*

i know Ambuserve in LA county is hiring, there might be a few more companies that are hiring...

OP
OP
emtCourt31

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
Well i guess it was a blessing they didnt hire me at that company.....

*Cough* Shoreline *Cough*

i know Ambuserve in LA county is hiring, there might be a few more companies that are hiring...
I'm really aiming for Doctors. If it means sticking it out until they start hiring again so be it.

haha cough cough yes cough

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know, even though some of the ambulances were essentially trash (although, to be honest, they had in-house maintnance and did a good job of replacing units around 300k miles after running the crud out of them), at Lynch I never had to worry about jump starting an ambulance more than once (because if it needs to be jump started, it ain't going out), it beeping at me through out an entire shift, or my check bouncing. This wasn't to say that there weren't acts of stupidity, however there does come a time when you are thankful for what you had.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
If you have to ask the question of whether you should work for the company, you probably shouldn't be working for the company. :)

OP
OP
emtCourt31

emtCourt31

Forum Crew Member
You know, even though some of the ambulances were essentially trash (although, to be honest, they had in-house maintnance and did a good job of replacing units around 300k miles after running the crud out of them), at Lynch I never had to worry about jump starting an ambulance more than once (because if it needs to be jump started, it ain't going out), it beeping at me through out an entire shift, or my check bouncing. This wasn't to say that there weren't acts of stupidity, however there does come a time when you are thankful for what you had.
Oh I'm thankful. But I just dont feel safe at all. If we have to jump a rig, it still goes out because its so common. I was at a hospital one night and we couldnt get our ambulance started, so they sent another unit to come jump us, then sent us on another call. Rediculous if you ask me.

All of the rigs have more than 300,000. One actually is at 450,000.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh I'm thankful. But I just dont feel safe at all.

Oh, I definitely agree, if you don't feel safe then get out. I'm just commenting because Lynch generally has a bad rap, albeit not completely undeserving.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Welcome to the wonderful world of private EMS. Profit is king, and you're expendable, as there will be many to take your place after they use you. I've dealt with crappy rigs and equipment and cancelled shifts, missing hours, but never bounced checks. It's common to wait 6 months, a year or several to get into 911, as this is where most new EMT's want to be. There aren't many who sign up for EMT school while envisioning the exciting, fast paced world of convalescent txp. My opinion of private EMS is generally poor, with only a few, such as Acadian for example, that treat their employees well.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't have ever worked for this company in the first place. You can make more waiting tables a Applebee's, or working at a Borders.

As far as leaving after a month and whether or not to report that work history to future employers, I have a simple solution:

Keep your job, drop down to per diem if you have to so you can work elsewhere in the meantime, where they actually pay you. Make sure to stay on good terms with admin, it's important to never burn your bridges, as EMS is a small world.

Apply to other, more desireable EMS companies. When you get to the portion of the application where you list your previous employers, You'll list the time worked with your present employer as 1/10 (or whatever) to present. Where it asks you the reason for leaving, you get to state "presently employed", as you technically are, even per diem. If you drop to per diem, don't mention that you were once FT.

When you get hired by a new place, you can either quit the old one, or keep it per diem, maybe for the minimum one shift a month or whatever's required, to show a longer work history on future applications. Or, you could quit, and give a vague reason for quitting such as "school", that no one would find odd.

EMS agencies shouldn't find it questionable that you're applying to them while already employed, as many in the field work several jobs.

See, easy solution that's resume friendly.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, snap. I didn't even think of the per diem game. ...and yes, EMS is a small world.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Oh, snap. I didn't even think of the per diem game. ...and yes, EMS is a small world.

I've been around the block a few times. Always happy to share my tips and tricks.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Lying on the application gives an automatic for cause termination option if the company chooses to exercise it.

Ah, like I said, that was from an outsider looking in, I did not mean to come out of my lane on that.
That's just what I had been told all through high school and what-not, (shows what a lot of good they did for me :p )

Thank you for correcting me, I will go back to my corner now.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Welcome to the wonderful world of private EMS. Profit is king, and you're expendable, as there will be many to take your place after they use you. I've dealt with crappy rigs and equipment and cancelled shifts, missing hours, but never bounced checks. It's common to wait 6 months, a year or several to get into 911, as this is where most new EMT's want to be. There aren't many who sign up for EMT school while envisioning the exciting, fast paced world of convalescent txp. My opinion of private EMS is generally poor, with only a few, such as Acadian for example, that treat their employees well.
Ditto what he said.

I have a personal rule: the first time my paycheck bounces is a mistake. the second time my paycheck bounces is my resignation. I will tolerate a lot, but when you start messing with my pay, then I am going elsewhere. And if anyone asks, I say exactly that.

The other "funny" thing about crappy transport companies is that most people in EMS know that crappy transport companies are, well, crappy. So if you say you are looking for a more professional company or one that does more EMS, then many will understand.

Question: will the trucks pass a DOH inspection? sometimes all you need is to make an anonymous phone call to get things fixed. gurney locks, AC, and functioning doors are all generally mandatory items. if you are getting short changed on your pay check, make a call to the department of labor. can't hurt, esp if you make the requests anonymously.

As for your original question, should you stay or should you go, only you can make that decision. There are some companies/agencies that I have worked for that don't appear on my resume for one reason or another. If you don't want to list where you worked, they can't hold it against you (unless you lie about being terminated, and even then, it's a legal gray area). but you are going to need a positive work history from other jobs in order to pull that off.

And since I have worked in EMS as a paid EMT, I have never had less than 2 jobs, often as many as 4 or 5 (that's what happens when you are 25 years old, single, and willing to work waaaaaay too many hours). So applying for a new job, or a per diem job wasn't too much of a stress.

The other thing to keep in mind is that EMS is a small community, and if your coworkers are awesome, then ask them where else they work. Most of my jobs were obtain by knowing someone, or knowing someone who knew when a company was hiring, or in two cases just good timing and a well worded email (and some dumb luck). Sometimes asking around that you are looking for a per diem gig somewhere else can lead to the best job leads. And before anyone asks, yes, I have gotten information about a past job or two while drinking with friends/coworkers at the bar after work.

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
I too work for a similar company with the same issues. We are given rigs with 300,000 plus miles, equipment from the 1960's and supervisors that should be working at Speedway ect. And the IFT's do get boring and make for long shifts. But the way the economy is now, I consider myself lucky to have a job. There are many of unemployed EMS personnel that would be more than happy to have my job. Good luck.

mattulance

Forum Crew Member
a job is a job but...

These days we are all lucky just to have a job, but trust me , I worked on ambualnces for a living for 3 years, the stuff you mentioned is only what you see (the tip of the Iceberg) While A/C prioblems are not generally a saftey concern, the brakes and the steering might not be too far behind. I have seen problems on rigs that donwnright shocked me , and a day after a CHP inspetion, don't assume anything. Life is too short to hurt or kill someone , or yourself in some P.O.S. rig, just because someone is trying to save a buck.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OP: Run. Sounds like a LOT of trouble. If you go PRN, while waiting for a better job, that works too. Don't be afraid to briefly touch on your concerns in an interview - but don't dwell and complain. "the checks bounced" "my shift was always getting cut", aren't bad reasons.

JP, Et Al: Per Diem is the way to go - especially if with a decent private company. I work for one that begins with "A" and goes by a TLA (three letter acronym), LOL. I was PRN for 4+ years, and then went part/full time after getting my medic - I was orienting as a medic within a week of getting my PA state card.