Would Detriot be a bad area for a first ems job?

Tk11

Forum Captain
Family members have told me "no don't try to work in Detriot it's a bad area" but they don't really know anything, they think I'll get shot or something because of what they see on the news.. I don't know. Anyway I know some emts working there and also seen they were hiring. IF, I could get a job there would it be a good idea to take it? I just want some experience before moving onto medic, whatever it may be.

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
Never been there but I can imagine you would get good experience. Just make sure you know where your going. Netflix had a doc about Detroit FD called burn I would try to check it out. If you do pursue it good luck and embrace the suck.

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
Oh I use the term "good" experience very loosely here. Saw some videos on YouTube that showed the dark side too.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I think a year with DFD EMS would be a fantastic introduction to this industry.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Never been there but I can imagine you would get good experience. Just make sure you know where your going. Netflix had a doc about Detroit FD called burn I would try to check it out. If you do pursue it good luck and embrace the suck.
Thanks, just checked out that documentary was worth the watch.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
FWIW Detroit leads the nation with the worst hospital discharge rates from cardiac arrest at 1%. Granted, they should be cut a little slack being that they obviously work a good amount of trauma codes but whatever the hell they are doing doesn't seem to be working. Either way, it's still good experience...

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
1% really that's all. Whats the national standard do you know?
We're in the low 20's where I work and Seattle leads the country at I believe around 40-50%. I want to say the national average is in the neighborhood of 15% or so.

Keep in mind these are hospital discharge rates where the pt is fully neurologically intact, which is entirely different that just flooding someone with enough epi to achieve ROSC.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Measuring cardoac arrest resuscitations to determine an employer is like picking a car based on the number of times the brand has won races.