Working while sick?

EMTIsee

Forum Crew Member
I am suffering from sever GI problems, carrying around a vomit bad in my cargo pocket 24/7, feeling ill constantly and or constant running to the bathroom 6 7 times a shift. I'v gone from 290 down to 150 and I have gotten very weak in my strength. Can a company fire me for being a liability?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hopefully you've seen a doctor.

An employer can't terminate you for being sick, but can terminate you if you can't meet the job requirements and may mandate that you not come to work until cleared by a doctor and can pass a "return to work" assessment.

Of course, ever state is different and if you feel that you may be terminated expressly due to a legitimate illness, I suggest seeking assistance from an attorney. You'll get far better advice from a professional than from a group of strangers on an anonymous message board.

Last edited:

Kevinf

Forum Captain
You've lost HALF your body weight? Long term GI symptoms, no mention of seeing a gastroenterologist... what would you tell a patient presenting with this?

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Based on all your other posts, I'm going to say troll and a bad one at that. If you wanna troll, up your game and at least be amusing.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
How quickly did you lose all that weight?

Hopefully you've seen Doctor. I couldn't imagine being that sick and vomiting all the time.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Based on all your other posts, I'm going to say troll and a bad one at that. If you wanna troll, up your game and at least be amusing.

I understand trolling the cop forum, but the EMS forum, that just seems real boring.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Let me ask you this, as asked by others. Don't you feel like you are a liability? If you think you might be fired, you are admitting that something is wrong. In this job you have other people's lives at stake, are you really risking that so you can drive the bandaid box?

OP
OP
E

EMTIsee

Forum Crew Member
Let me ask you this, as asked by others. Don't you feel like you are a liability? If you think you might be fired, you are admitting that something is wrong. In this job you have other people's lives at stake, are you really risking that so you can drive the bandaid box?

I have talked about it with supervisors and have been given office work.