Why do EMTs buy Nomex uniforms?

aricbel

Forum Ride Along
I am curious to as of why alot of EMTs in Southern California/La county ambulances prefer to purchase Nomex uniform over the polyester uniforms provided by ambulance companies.

Its generally 911 companies wearing nomex Vs IFT companies

does nomex just look more professional? or is there other benefits?

Last edited by a moderator:

terrible one

Always wandering
I had nomex because I wore it at my reserve fire gig and I could also wear it when I worked the private ambulance. So instead of having two different sets of pants I just had one. In my opinion nomex looks better. It's also better quality and would last longer than the stuff AMR gave me. But of course it wasn't cheap. I'd imagine most 911 companies the employees wear nomex to fit in with the fire departments, possibly more uniformity.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

aricbel

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the answer.

Def. not cheap $100 apair compared to $20 for my polyesters

terrible one

Always wandering
Yup. Unfortunately, that's the major downside.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have a pair of nomex pants I got in 2008 and they still look brand new. Nice creases and don't wrinkle. The last time I got them dry cleaned/ironed was in 2011. They also fit better and feel a lot more comfortable.

The pants I get from my company don't last at all. They are not comfortable and wrinkle very easily. The only reason I get the pants from my company are because they are free (and I get 2-3 new pairs per year).

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Nomex uniforms have to look good because many are made for fire service and therefore they're going to have to meet certain performance standards, not just in terms of fire protection standards. That's going to pretty much ensure that the garments are going to last longer than the cheap polyester uniforms that are usually issued.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We wear 100% cotton uniforms, some have sprung for the Nomex, but EMS does all rescue services. So its easier on an auto extrication to just throw on a helmet and gloves and go to work. Same with technical rescues, no need to change clothes. On Hazmats, we are starting to do what FDNY calls HazTac and begin treatment in the warm zone before decon. All of these environments call for some type of flame resistant garment

EMTodd

Forum Probie
Nomex uniforms have to look good because many are made for fire service and therefore they're going to have to meet certain performance standards, not just in terms of fire protection standards. That's going to pretty much ensure that the garments are going to last longer than the cheap polyester uniforms that are usually issued.

Exactly. Also the color doesn't wash out as fast.