What not to do!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Interesting, I do not which scares me the most. One that would so happen to be wearing a helmet cam or the constant reporting of the aircraft numbers, then of course attempting to stand a person involved in a airplane crash.

R/r 911

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Well the guy with the helmet cam was useless. Just stood around with his camera running. How'd you like the all important "getting the id" from the patient's pockets? Then the over zealous idiots keel hauling the patients out of the wreckage!

Ugh! I've seen enough.

OP
OP
reaper

reaper

Working Bum
Did you notice the first pt? Guy held c-spine, then pulled him out by his head!!!

texmat3

Forum Probie
Did you notice the first pt? Guy held c-spine, then pulled him out by his head!!!

It looked to me like that one guy held c-spine while camera-boy dragged him by the belt.

I think it would have been better to 1) not let that one guy get himself out of the plane 2) leave him standing up and hold him up till u get a LSB on him, rather than let his spine move all around while he gets on the ground.

OP
OP
reaper

reaper

Working Bum
OK, your right. I did not see his hand on the belt, till you said that. Still bad way to move him.

Epi-do

I see dead people
That has got to be where my invisible partner for my oral boards had to have come from!

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
Jeeez - I've watched shows like Grey's Anatomy and said "wow thats blatantly wrong" before, but never a video of an actual scene. Should we start a list of the things that we all cringed at during this video?

1) Using the head as a pull-point for extracation
2) rifling through the wallets for ID

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Then the over zealous idiots keel hauling the patients out of the wreckage!
I think airplanes often have a nasty habit of catching on fire after crash, not always immidiately. So it might be appropriate to perform emergency rescue (doesn't mean you should ignore c-spine...)

OP
OP
reaper

reaper

Working Bum
I have worked many small plane crashes. Not one has ever caught on fire. If they do not catch fire after the crash, then most likely they won't.

You get the same thing in MVC's. People see smoke and panic. They start pulling pt's out, thinking it is "Goin to blow". Again, not likely.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
To add to this point, if they were so concerned about the plane catching fire, then why would they plop the patients on the ground right next to the plane?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
To add to this point, if they were so concerned about the plane catching fire, then why would they plop the patients on the ground right next to the plane?

Okay, this post gets the all time Rhetorical Question Award. We could call it the "D'oh!" Award.