What do you do ?

emsunit37

Forum Probie
I've been on night shift for over a year, so I sleep in the day, and wide awake at night not much to do when everyone else is sleeping ;)

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Night shift is the best! I much prefer it to days...you are NOT alone!! lol

OP
OP
E

emsunit37

Forum Probie
I love the nights, don't care much for the days, but when boredom sets in and there's not much to do. Don't have to work the E.R until Thursday from 1800-0600. On call right now just waiting for a transfer at this point :wacko:

ECC

Forum Captain
I worked Midnights (Tour I) from 1991-1999.

I watched ALOT of Jerry Springer! I did get alot done around the house, but when you are up on your off days, it can get a little boring.

I work 24's now, so I am stuck with a new problem, some of my buddies work opposite of me, so I can get a little bored...but I have my puppies now!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I used to work Tuesday, Wedensday, Thursday 12 hour overnights. I got 5-6 hours sleep on a good day, with my commute being 1.5 hours each way... I had to be on a normal schedule during the weekend to deal with my family, so I ended up spending Friday up all day, usually at the squad, running calls and napping.

I hated the shift, but it beat working transfers in the day time, doing nothing but back to back dialysis transfers.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Vivarin for the night, Benadryl for the day...

Or just keep taking vivarin, stay up the whole week, then take benadryl all weekend and sleep non stop.

We worked 1900-0700 five days a week. I hardly ever did anything during the day. Even when I was off, I slept all day, and stayed up all night. When we lived in Pitt it was great, we'd go on road trips for the night, clubs, movies; but when we moved up here... :blink: OMG is it boring. Commute 2 hours to work, 3 hours back-tired.. sleep... do it again. Then you can't break the habit for the weekend, so you stay up all night watching DVD's, and playing board games, maybe working on one of the project cars.

But the trick was, we got paid 33 cents per mile from home to the station, if we had to commute. That added up after a week, and the pay was pretty nice!
"But I didn't do it for the money" ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
No-Doz!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I work nights wednsday thru saturday. I love it. I think days suck... It seems to me the night staff at the hospitals are easier to deal with than during the day. On my days off I pick up extra shifts during the day when I can but I do not like to. Anyway, it is much easier clearing an intersection at 200 in the morning than it is at 1400!! :D :lol:

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
my grades in medic school sucked, so i got the last pick out of the clinical hours. they all ended up being overnight. i got used to it though. im not much of a people person so it worked for me. you get up to go to wally world in the middle of the night, or to go get gas, or to go to a 24 hour restaurant, and there's no one there, aside from staff. when you get up during the day to do the same, you end up fighting crowds, traffic, lines, mean day people, etc. i much prefered the overnight stuff. now im on 24's so i get a little of both.

SCEMT-B

Forum Crew Member
I wish my company hada nite shift, Id rather work that then work when everyone else is in the office...too much gosip going around during the day shifts <_<

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Last year, for a semester, I worked the 7:30 PM - 7:30 AM shift every other Saturday night. The company I work for is about an hour and a half away from where I went to college. I'd stay up and do the "college thing" every Friday, wake up at 3 PM, then go to work.

I loved working nights. We'd have two minute response times, and working BLS we'd be allowed in the ALS cities to work as first response / backup units. I loved having no traffic, I loved seeing the same faces everywhere I went. Nothing was open late, but I didn't mind. When my shift was over at 7:30 AM, I'd drive home, sleep until 8 PM, stay up all night, and sleep through my Monday classes. It was great, Linguistics was horrible, and was a perfect class to sleep through.

When the semester was over I realized I couldn't perform working nights. It just threw my entire schedule off. Now I work days, and my career in EMS consists of 400 lb dialysis patients. I want nights back.

I'd love to see how people did it as a career. All of the people I worked nights with didn't have children, and their spouses (almost all were single), were always in EMS too. I miss nights, it was fun, but I don't think I could do it full-time.

OP
OP
E

emsunit37

Forum Probie
The E.R that I work in is busy 24-7, I may live in a small town well small rez anyway, but with all the drinking that goes on it can be alot of fun. At this moment tourist season is starting so that is always interesting usually mva's and the occasional bear vs tourist which is always fun. But usually it's when the natives here get restless that we are constantly on the run.. But you gotta love the nights :p