WA EMT with my criminal record?

amk

Forum Ride Along
I have 3 marijuana related misdemeanors (I know, I'm an idiot). I'd like to become an EMT in Washington state.
Is this:
A. Even possible?
B. Going to be impossible to get hired?
I've read through the NREMT criminal record policy and they seem less concerned with controlled substance related offenses than sexual and violent crimes. Would it be easier for me in a state (like WA) with looser marijuana laws than others?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Most places will not hire you because they see you as a liability. Not only did you do weed (and get caught) once but have done it three times, which makes people likely to believe that you will do it again once they hire you. Because you have repeatedly gotten the same misdemeanor, most places won't want to take the risk of hiring you, especially if they have other applicants with a clean criminal record.

As always, there may be mitigating factors that we don't know of, and the fact that neither of those are felonies MAY help your case. Most places will have you wait at least 5-7 years, although it is all dependent on where you live and what services you are looking at. Call them and ask, never hurts.

EDIT: And NREMT does not take into account local laws, it is a national thing so they strictly look at your criminal history and match that to their policies. So no, unless WA's less stringent laws got you a lesser charge in court, they will have no bearing on the NREMT's decision.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
If you had one charge that was from a significant time ago, I could see them being more lenient.

But since you have several, that shows a repetitive behavior. You would be working in an ambulance with access to controlled substances, and if I saw someone with a slew of drug offenses, I would think the chance of them tampering with drugs in the squad would be significantly higher then someone without a drug history.

Idk about WA state laws, but if your state has a court system to " set aside" or expunge charges ( through voluntary community service, additional restitution payments, a mock probation with drug testing, etc) then that would probably be your best bet. But as of now I'm hesitant that NREMT would certify you, and even if they did, I doubt the state would license you. And that wouldn't even be the hardest part. The hard part would be getting someone to hire you.

Eleventy7

Forum Probie
You're probably going to be dealing with people who think weed is the devil and that you're definitely just trying to get access to their drug box. Be straight up with whoever is doing the hiring and hope that the smoked back in the day. Alternatively, get your medical marijuana card so you have an out and you won't get your dumb *** arrested again.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
A medical marijuana card won't make a difference for hiring purposes.

Marijuana is still Federally illegal (federal trumps state) so they can legally refuse hire if you test positive for marijuana, regardless if you have a plastic card stating its "ok".

Just stop smoking the reefer. It's clearly doing you more harm then good. Until it's federally legal - it's always going to hinder your success in the professional world.