Volunteer Interview

Caspar

Forum Crew Member
As a new EMT-B, I have decided to join a volunteer corps and am just wondering what the volunteer interviews are like? Are volunteer agencies usually picky in who they choose or is it not very competitive? Would the interview questions be more of the "getting to know you" type of questions, or would they be scenario/behavioral based? Lastly, how formal should I dress?Would khakis and a button down shirt or polo work?
Thanks!

Clakev

Forum Ride Along
I can only speak as to my area and my last volunteer fire department and then ambulance garage interview.
On an average interviews will be more of a Scenario/behavioral based questions with a mix of getting to know the person you are. Famous ones are what are you strong points? Weak points? How would your boss or previous employer describe you? and what not.
I visit a few times and looked to see what others wore when they ran. Most of the time it was polo and EMS pants.
When I did my interview I wore a polo and khaki/slacks. If they run with EMS pants and a button down uniform shirt then go with the button down shirt.
Again this is of my opinion and I'm sure others may have better choices.
Good luck! Congratulations on trying to help your community by volunteering your time.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Most places here in NM will take anyone willing to volunteer, no interview or anything like that. They're incredibly short staffed and several that are close to me are on the verge of closing due to lack of manpower

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
Virginia is the exact opposite of that, TJ. Volunteer squads are overstaffed and will often require a year+ of experience prior to even considering you. They do much of the heavy lifting during the nights/weekends in the counties. That said, my interview for the volunteer agency I'm a part of was mostly a fit/why do you want to join? kinda deal. Approach it the same you would any job interview and you'll do fine.

Drax

Forum Captain
As a new EMT-B, I have decided to join a volunteer corps and am just wondering what the volunteer interviews are like? Are volunteer agencies usually picky in who they choose or is it not very competitive? Would the interview questions be more of the "getting to know you" type of questions, or would they be scenario/behavioral based? Lastly, how formal should I dress?Would khakis and a button down shirt or polo work?
Thanks!

I'm thinking suit. I mean...If everyone else is wearing khakis and button down or polo, wouldn't a suit make you stand out among the rest? Just my thoughts.

It depends on where you're volunteering in terms of competitiveness. Expect a typical job interview.