veteran medics

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
How many years of service would you say some one would need to have to be considered seasoned?

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Depends on the quality and volume of their experience. Length of time since certification is a small part of the equation.

Totally agree. Would you rather have a medic with 25 years of "experience" from a very rural volunteer squad that does 10 runs a year, or a medic with 1 year of experience in a very busy metro 911 system who has probably made 200-300 calls already?

OP
OP
Run with scissors

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
Good point. Let's just say for the sake of the conversation. What you would consider experienced at your own company

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Quite simply I think of it as this...a veteran medic is someone who is a medic for several years, still has passion for the job, an eagerness to learn, willingness to share, is likable/approachable and still thinks there is someone in the department who is better than him. He has respect for others knowledge and is still striving to be like them or learn from them in some regard.

Does that make sense?

Here I am with 20+ years as a paramedic and I still sometimes find myself as "the veteran" unthinkable. I sometimes forget I am supposed to be "that guy" because I myself still look to others as "that guy".

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
The time spent spent in EMS is only part of it. Another big part is your life experiences. Wisdom cannot be taught.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
While working in Indianapolis I did hundreds of runs as a medic: both on FD in busy 911, working PT, 24-36 hours a week and for a private service working 60+ hours a week. Probably did 40-50 runs a week. Did that as a medic from 2004- 2008.
Here maybe 1-2 patients a month.

I consider myself a veteran and a well seasoned medic due to previous history. Slowly losing skills because all the practice in the world doesn't help when you don't actually do it will and to people

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm with @akflightmedic... I'm a FTO at my one job, where I am also the medic with highest seniority. Honestly? I'm at a point where I'd call myself an EMS Journeyman... I'm comfortable, but not a renowned expert.