Vehicle lighting

kkubacko

Forum Ride Along
Hey folks! I recently took and passed national registry. Since then I joined my local fire department. I need an outside opinion. I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Im looking for opinions on what are my best options for lighting it up! Thanks!

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I'm going to assume this isn't a troll. But does your Dept allow you to have emergency lights on your POV?

OP
OP
K

kkubacko

Forum Ride Along
Yes, lighting is allowed. No, this is not a troll. I really don't know!

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I was so hoping emt11 was right... Besides that.. It's a friggin Kia.
Best option? Don't bother with the money. Whoo Whoo lights are fun, but there's really not much benefit, especially on a POV. Just my opinion.
People don't know how to react to a proper emergency vehicle, I can imagine that it doesn't help to be in a small car.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
That is something I was not aware of! Says something about what they think the efficacy of those lights are...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There is a reason many states or agencies require a siren when lights are in use. It is a HUGE liability .

Something else to think about
If you respond with lights everyone notices and if you are speeding or aggressive you will most likely be reported . If you respond with no markings and drive like an a hole ppl think you are just a hole and go about their day.

Ps
Don't drive like an a hole

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Alright, most don't agree with lighting personal vehicles but will someone at least answer the question? God damn.

www.elightbars.com has a ton of information about vehicle lighting.

Vollys here aren't allowed to have lights in their POVs so I know nothing about it. I've toyed with the idea of putting a wig-wag setup on my headlights and taillights just for when I'm parked on the side of the road loading and unloading sleds. Only reason, nothing involving work.

You need to find out what your state's laws are as well. Depending on the state you have to run certain colors. Some states allow red and white lights for POVs but most only allow blue lighting and all it does is request the right-of-way. If someone doesn't want to yield to you they don't have to and they can't be ticketed for it. Some states allow sirens with red lights on POVs but that's a rarity.

The only POV here I've seen with lighting is the county fire investigator and she's just got wig wags on her headlights and tail lights, thats where the idea came from for my truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Best way to light up your car is.... your headlights. Do not be a whacker. Do not be dangerous. Dont risk your life or the life of others. You are in this job to help people right? Not to drive with lights?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Best way to light up your car is.... your headlights. Do not be a whacker. Do not be dangerous. Dont risk your life or the life of others. You are in this job to help people right? Not to drive with lights?

There are places where a POV response is warranted. Now those places lights will not make an ounce of difference because they're very very rural. There are other uses for lighting other than moving. Lights don't automatically = whacker. So does me thinking about putting a flasher kit on my headlights and tail lights on my truck for when we're on the side of the highway unloading sleds in a snowstorm make me a whacker?

You do it every single day at work when you drive emergent. What's the difference?

I don't support routine use of POV lighting or RLS in general, but I think you see my point.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
There are places where a POV response is warranted. Now those places lights will not make an ounce of difference because they're very very rural. There are other uses for lighting other than moving. Lights don't automatically = whacker. So does me thinking about putting a flasher kit on my headlights and tail lights on my truck for when we're on the side of the highway unloading sleds in a snowstorm make me a whacker?

You do it every single day at work when you drive emergent. What's the difference?

I don't support routine use of POV lighting or RLS in general, but I think you see my point.

I apologize. My understanding of the OP was that the lights were being used in a POV response, vs flashers on the side of the road for unload. They are different situations. An ambulance is also different than a POV. Usually, we are larger and include more lights (usually) and sirens. I do feel it is risking my life everytime that I use lights/sirens. I am a strong supporter of not using lights/sirens in general, and use them as little as possible. Unfortunately sometimes company policy requires use to use them when probably not needed.

I think one thing to take into consideration is the difference with lights and/or sirens. Many people think lights/sirens give them the right to drive faster and violate what ever laws they want. It is dangerous to drive lights/sirens and even more dangerous POV.

If his department felt that lights/sirens were warranted on POV, shouldn't they supply them or have their own SOPs, as well as state/local protocols for lights/sirens.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, ask your chief. Why is an outside opinion needed here? or are you thinking Mom (us) will say yes when Dad (the chief) says no?

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
Look at the above link and follow your state laws(within reason)...i found my blue led setup in upstate ny to be extremly helpful. My area has alot of respect for vollys and emts. Although it is not mandated 95% yeild or let you pass up here.

Big things....dont tailgate! Never run a red light regardless if you are waved through, and just use your head in regards to speed.

My setup is a 4 module deck light and 2 smaller lights on the brushguard of my truck. Goodluck

CFal

Forum Captain
My state you can use red lights and siren and are considered an emergency vehicle and the right of way

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFmwV-U3oSg[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, my.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey folks! I recently took and passed national registry. Since then I joined my local fire department. I need an outside opinion. I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Im looking for opinions on what are my best options for lighting it up! Thanks!

This isn't what you want to hear - but look at what all the old-time members have for lighting.

If your department is anything like the volunteer department I ran at growing up, a bunch of 18-22 year old active members have cars with more lights than some of your apparatus.

The senior members? Maybe a small dashlight, often nothing.

My favorite quote, from a mentor... "When you drive like an ***, you're just another *** on the road, and everyone ignores it. When you drive like an *** with FD lights, people call your chief.

In my home state (PA) some departments allow response with blue "courtesy" lights. Legally, they have no authority, and you aren't allowed to break any traffic laws (speed, passing rules, etc). Certain chief officers are allowed to have red lights, either on a POV or Department-issue vehicle. That's different.