VA NREMT necessary?? Help

blackdiamond18

Forum Ride Along
Soo, I recently took an EMT class in virginia, and I had a few questions. Do you need the national registry in order to be certified in va? I took my practicals, and failed 1 the first go, but later passed it. Does that make me state certified or are there any other steps I need to take to get certified? Like taking NREMT...

EBMEMT

Forum Crew Member
You must take the nremt written test to become newly certified in va. IIRC, you can print a permission to test letter for nremt from state ems website acount now that you passed the practicals. register on nremt website.

OP
OP
B

blackdiamond18

Forum Ride Along
You must take the nremt written test to become newly certified in va. IIRC, you can print a permission to test letter for nremt from state ems website acount now that you passed the practicals. register on nremt website.
Ahhh, well that makes sense. Correct me if I wrong, but after you take it, Virginia doesn't care if you maintain it or not?

Jason

Medic
In VA:
If you take the EMT course (or Intermediate or Paramedic), and you are 18y/o or older, the final exam or the last big written test you take is the NREMT written test. VA has adopted the NREMT course and testing so that your 1st certification is the NR. After receiving your NREMT, you have to submit for reciprocity from VA and get a VA EMT card/cert. NR is a 2yr renewal and the VA EMT is a 4yr renewal. I hear, that VA is moving more and more to the NR regulations for certifications and renewals. After that, no VA doesn't care if you maintain your NR or not BUT... an employer might.
You don't have to be NREMT to be VA EMT.

OP
OP
B

blackdiamond18

Forum Ride Along
In VA:
If you take the EMT course (or Intermediate or Paramedic), and you are 18y/o or older, the final exam or the last big written test you take is the NREMT written test. VA has adopted the NREMT course and testing so that your 1st certification is the NR. After receiving your NREMT, you have to submit for reciprocity from VA and get a VA EMT card/cert. NR is a 2yr renewal and the VA EMT is a 4yr renewal. I hear, that VA is moving more and more to the NR regulations for certifications and renewals. After that, no VA doesn't care if you maintain your NR or not BUT... an employer might.
You don't have to be NREMT to be VA EMT.
Ok, I see. Reason I ask is, I've been saying that I'm EMT certified, not knowing that I had to get my nremt. Good thing I haven't been hired as an EMT haha. Thanks for the info!