Three things that I dislike to do as a Paramedic

bushinspector

Forum Crew Member
Most EMT'S look up to Paramedics without looking at the downfalls. Every job has it negatives aspects to it. Would like to see if they are a common thread between Paramedics.

Angel

Paramedic
The paper work
Still having to back board patients who don't need it (ie all of them)
Not having a general pain protocol (so I can give more narcs)
Am I doing this right?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
The way some EMTs voice their opinion as to the acuity of a pt when they have nothing on the line if they are wrong (e.g. "This is BS")

Pressure from supervisors to provide thorough care and documentation yet still clear hospitals within 20 minutes of arrival.

I'm pretty good with everything else.

Angel

Paramedic
20?! We get 5 minutes and have to have a draft pcr (the basics: demographics any interventions and objective info) done in 30

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I know this thread isn't about the positive side, but I'm pretty content at the moment! I can see the shift work/hours becoming a problem eventually as I get older or start a family though.

I guess I could add the common EMS gripes.

1. Low education standards

2. Dinosaur providers stuck in the past and unwilling to change with the times

3. Reliance on history or tradition over new information

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I greatly dislike being wrong. I hate making mistakes. ( I am human, it happens. I don't have to like it, I have to accept it.)
Paperwork
Working with incompetent people. I don't mind new and inexperienced, we were all new once. But people who can't get their act together drive me nuts.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I greatly dislike being wrong. I hate making mistakes. ( I am human, it happens. I don't have to like it, I have to accept it.)
Paperwork
Working with incompetent people. I don't mind new and inexperienced, we were all new once. But people who can't get their act together drive me nuts.
This. Exactly this.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
I dislike trying to find the cleanest most appropriate bathroom when posted in between calls

Everyone has that one go to clean bathroom don't lie

Angel

Paramedic
Haha I usually hold it. Try a 48 hour shift and not going poo...uncomfortable!!

Angel

Paramedic
No we had a station but I am so uncomfortable going number dos around coworkers (boys). I know it's dumb but...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Night shifts.

Petty bickering by coworkers.

Management by fear or threat of discipline.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
being trained to treat the sick and dying, knowing all about drugs and medical interventions, and dealing with mostly stable patients who simply need a comfortable ride to the ER (or could take a taxi to their PMD)

being stuck in a truck for 12 hours, posted on a street corner, in the sketchiest parts of the city, in all walks of weather.

being forced to deal with dinosaurs.

OP
OP
B

bushinspector

Forum Crew Member
I am surprised that no Paramedics listed, getting involved in a BLS call and not having a Paramedic available if needed. In our service (at this time,) Paramedics transports everything that comes in. Granted our call volume is 1.5 calls per 24 hours on average. But it can take our only Paramedic unavailable for at least three hours.

Angel

Paramedic
Our EMTS tech bls calls, including transfers...
Some things I dislike are not helping the new guy...we were all there once, and even just some words of wisdom can go a long way. With that patience as well.

The low education standards, I think in general you will get a bit more professional and mature staff. It kind of forces you to be in this field because you like it, not just a place holder for something else (eventually hopefully pay rate and respect amongst our peers will come)

Laziness and a bad attitude. Yes we all want to go home on time but to come to work and expect to run no calls is just setting yourself up for a bad day. Be a team player and help with the rig checks, I usually restock the rig because I know what I used, but everything else is fair game. I also will not pick up anyone's trash, so check out your mess before you clock out.

Paperwork, but I said that already.