the 100% directionless thread

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
speaking of cars...since I will be unemployed for 6 weeks with absolutely nothing to do after I pass my test next week, I am going to replace the brakes and rotors on my truck. I've never done brakes before, and I don't know where to buy parts, and it seems that there are options when buying brake parts, with some variation in price. Any advice?
Normally it's just a variation of the brake compound. Cheapest are organic (rubber), semi metallic are normally next. A little better braking distance. Also have a longer life but they wear the rotors more than organic, so it's a wash. And then ceramic. Which are hellishly expensive.
About the gist of them all. I personally don't bother worrying about the extra 5 feet you probably get of braking distance from normal organic compounds for a daily driver.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
sounds good. i probably would have gone cheapest anyways but when the cost is almost double i start wonder about the discrepancy. also, i dont care about stopping distance because i drive like a granny.

shaggyc

Forum Probie
sounds good. i probably would have gone cheapest anyways but when the cost is almost double i start wonder about the discrepancy. also, i dont care about stopping distance because i drive like a granny.
Same here. I'm a public transport bus driver (until I get certified). I drive everything like it's a bus. Pisses my wife off too no end

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
speaking of cars...since I will be unemployed for 6 weeks with absolutely nothing to do after I pass my test next week, I am going to replace the brakes and rotors on my truck. I've never done brakes before, and I don't know where to buy parts, and it seems that there are options when buying brake parts, with some variation in price. Any advice?

Autozone is fine for parts. Whatever the cheapest one is, is the ones to get. Ceramics are more expensive because they're usually made for racing, and can handle quicker heat to cooling cycles without sticking. They give off way more brake dust too. You'll also need to pick up a brake caliper tool, autozone lets you rent them for only the price of the part, and gives you your full amount back as soon as you return it: http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...yKeyWord=Brake+caliper+tool&fromString=search Just check out the reviews on it, it makes your life so much easier. A C-Clamp can also be used to push the brake piston back in, but it's a pain in the ***, and it's free to rent the tool from autozone.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I usually don't go with the cheapest. I bought cheap hubs for my truck and they lasted around 18 months. When I replaced them I went with the more expensive heavy duty ones with a 2 year warranty and haven't had an issue yet.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I FINALLY got my W2 in the mail today from my old job, two weeks after they said they mailed it...well I guess the company going out of business during that time may have distracted the HR lady....now time to see if I can remember how to log onto mypay.dfas.mil in order to get my W2 from the Reserves. Wonder if Turbo Tax is still not doing state returns or should I visit someone else?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Doing orientation at the new service today. I'm the only paramedic in a whole room of nurses. This could be interesting. :)

...And two PPDs are required before I'm cleared. Strange.
The two-step test is used to weed out false negatives. The idea is that if you've had TB in the past, even if the first test is negative, it wakes up your system and then the 2nd test would be positive... after that, you only (usually) need annual single step PPD tests. If you test positive, then it's CXR time and annual review of symptoms typical of a TB infection... and something like 6 months to a year of antibiotics and if you're a drinker, that's going to be the longest time you've had to be "dry."

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh, I FINALLY got my W2 in the mail today from my old job, two weeks after they said they mailed it...well I guess the company going out of business during that time may have distracted the HR lady....now time to see if I can remember how to log onto mypay.dfas.mil in order to get my W2 from the Reserves. Wonder if Turbo Tax is still not doing state returns or should I visit someone else?
I used H&R block. It was super easy, free federal return, 10 bucks for state. Walks you through everything.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
...And two PPDs are required before I'm cleared. Strange.
I'm pretty sure the PPD thing or some equivalency to test for TB is a Georgia thing because every hospital I have applied to has that as a part of pre-employment testing (as well as a drug test). Every where is also 2 PPDs or one blood draw (which was nice, no coming back to get it read).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm pretty sure the PPD thing or some equivalency to test for TB is a Georgia thing because every hospital I have applied to has that as a part of pre-employment testing (as well as a drug test). Every where is also 2 PPDs or one blood draw (which was nice, no coming back to get it read).

Maybe a joint commission thing? The infection control/employee health director was pretty matter of fact about it. As an aside, I've been sitting through a slew of PowerPoint slow death presentations that reek of compliance.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
If anyone feels like sending good vibes or prayers my way, please do. The family is at my Aunt's bedside. Her journey is coming to an end.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If anyone feels like sending good vibes or prayers my way, please do. The family is at my Aunt's bedside. Her journey is coming to an end.
May her passing be an easy one. May she feel comfortable and loved as she steps from this adventure and onto her next one. May peace be with your family during this time. My best, and condolences.