the 100% directionless thread

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, except that has nothing to do with it, nor does the call volume (3 calls today so far). I just like going home at the end of the day.

I'm just busting your balls. I've grown to hate 24's. I do not like getting woken up in the middle of the night for a call. Even if we sleep through the night, I come home and crash out for a few hours and I'm still exhausted the rest of the day. It definitely wears on the body.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I always loved 24's as long as it wasn't too busy and I got a decent amount of downtime. Nothing like going to work only twice a week and still getting paid 8 hours OT.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the only reason I have no interest in doing 12's. 2-3x a week work schedule is great. When I did work 12's, that was fairly annoying too, lol. By the time you get home it's almost time to go to bed.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I used to like 24hr shifts. Now I cannot stand them. Anyone else rather do 12s?
I don't think I'd like them where you are at. But I love them here, especially since my station tomorrow is 45 minutes from my house and an hour from class so I would not enjoy driving to and from six times total. And it's not particularly busy so I'll get other stuff done.

I get done with a 12 here in the city and I am wiped. We have a 48 hour car in the city and I don't understand how it's allowed, they run 35-40 calls a shift.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
48 hour car in the city and I don't understand how it's allowed, they run 35-40 calls a shift.

Holy crap. When I covered the 48 hour car I averaged 1/4 of that. We would get woken up like 1 or 2 times in the night and 6 or so in the day. But then again there were 2 ambulances at that station.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Holy crap. When I covered the 48 hour car I averaged 1/4 of that. We would get woken up like 1 or 2 times in the night and 6 or so in the day. But then again there were 2 ambulances at that station.
It's stupid. It's technically a "county" car as its station is not in the city limits but it's about two minutes from the border. They now have a sleeping time from 23-05 where they can only take calls in the fire district they are stationed at or if no one else is available so I bet their volume is down slightly. But still, they get pulled into the city all the time at night since we aren't as heavily staffed. A typical 12 hour shift in the city is probably 10 calls with eight transports regardless of time, so they basically do four in a row.

CALEMT

It's stupid. It's technically a "county" car as its station is not in the city limits but it's about two minutes from the border. They now have a sleeping time from 23-05 where they can only take calls in the fire district they are stationed at or if no one else is available so I bet their volume is down slightly. But still, they get pulled into the city all the time at night since we aren't as heavily staffed. A typical 12 hour shift in the city is probably 10 calls with eight transports regardless of time, so they basically do four in a row.

No thanks haha

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I didn't realize California EMS registry would say pending forever. I want to see what my numbers are already, lol.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I cannot adequately describe the storm rolling through right now. Like a hurricane. I love storms, but this one is scaring me.

For those of you who are Facebook friends, I posted a video of it.

Last edited:

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
This is what happens to palm trees during thunderstorms here Az.
20150827_181152.jpg

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Pet peeve of the day: Volunteer fire department paying for a single EMT to "staff" an ambulance and wait for a driver to show up if there is an EMS call...Lo and behold, they receive a call on a Saturday morning and fail to get their ambulance out because they cannot get any of their dozens of members to show up to drive an ambulance two minutes to a call and another 3 minutes to a hospital. Why even bother?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Pet peeve of the day: Volunteer fire department paying for a single EMT to "staff" an ambulance and wait for a driver to show up if there is an EMS call...Lo and behold, they receive a call on a Saturday morning and fail to get their ambulance out because they cannot get any of their dozens of members to show up to drive an ambulance two minutes to a call and another 3 minutes to a hospital. Why even bother?

Because lights & sirens are cool, and not getting paid to work is also cool!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Broken system in DE that won't ever get fixed because;

A) good old boys.
B) supported by state funding
C) EMS ain't as cool as fire fightin'

But mostly A.

I firmly believe that the county should take over the management of all ambulance service. Leave the ambulance in the fire department, they can own it and lease it to the county. Staff with a county paramedic and a EMT employed by fire company that meets the county standards. Get past the egos, work out the billing issues and then get that mess under control. It's an antiquated system that needs to change.

But, again... See A.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Do you know how the shift schedule works out there? 2 on 5 off? I haven't had a chance to figure out how it works lol

CALEMT

Do you know how the shift schedule works out there? 2 on 5 off? I haven't had a chance to figure out how it works lol

Thats how it was when I covered out there. 2 on 5 off. It worked for me cause I live in the valley and it was only a hour and a half there. When I was out there, they had a bunch of open shifts and were trying to get me to work 3 on 4 off. Don't know if thats changed in the past couple months though.

CALEMT

For only 3 transports today we used Narcan accompanied by restraints, Zofran, Fentanyl, and burn sheets.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For only 3 transports today we used Narcan accompanied by restraints, Zofran, Fentanyl, and burn sheets.
Did you guys have the BBQ that blew up in 70s area?