Sketchy First Job

Emtster

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone. I recently got my first EMT job and I must say I'm quite apprehensive about it only 2 days into training. Are these things normal, and if not, is it worth keeping this job or should I look for another one and not bother?

1). The "station" is a mess. Leaking ceiling, unreliable plumbing, a bug problem.

2) The equipment is old and run down. One of the doors one the ambulance doesn't open from the inside. It doesn't appear very clean on the inside, and all the medical gear is old, unused, wrinkled. The cabinet in the ambulance is collapsed with its contents floating around.

3) I show up for work and am the only person at the station for several hours each day. No communication about when the ambulance is going to arrive or even if they told everyone not to come in. They don't even bother to keep me in the loop. I just sit here waiting. Day 1, I waited one hour. Day 2 has been two hours so far....this really worries me.

3) Appearance. The uniforms are short sleeve polo type shirts. Not that big of a deal but my coworkers leave their shirts untucked and generally look sloppy

4). they don't change sheets or clean stretcher after every use. They claim since there is a sheet under the patient that goes with the patient, there is no need to change the sheets.

5) One of my trainers stole two boxes or gloves from the hospital on my first day. Took it from a ward room where we moving a patient from.

6) No breaks. I didn't eat, use the bathroom, have a glass of water for 13 hours on my first day.

A bit about the job. It's BLS transport (dialysis, discharge, nursing home) with Medicare and Medicaid patients. About me: I'm a career changed getting experience for grad school. Not shooting for EMT as a career. I need 1 year experience *somewhere* and hate to delay the process to find a new job.

So, is this worth it? Should I be freaked out?

Last edited:

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
About me: I'm a career changed getting experience for grad school. Not shooting for EMT as a career. I need 1 year experience *somewhere* and hate to delay the process to find a new job.

So, is this worth it? Should I be freaked out?

You are completely reasonable with your concerns, that place sounds pretty bad. Your choices are:

1) Do the best you can with what you have. Nobody is stopping you from cleaning the stretcher and using fresh sheets, so maybe that will have to be your role. Every now and then I have partners that refuse to do things that should be done, so I just do them. Don't let the lazy people bring you down. IFT, in my experience, rarely requires much equipment. As long as you have the basics, you can make it work.

2) Look elsewhere.

The decision is going to be based on your perceived ability to tolerate that job for a year or if it's worth finding something better, even if it sets your timeline back a bit.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
http://emtlife.com/threads/alpha-one-ambulance.40685/#post-564444

Read my two long posts. It is a lot of what you need to know about being a new EMT.

Oh God I remember reading that post Sandpit... by the time I was done I had a full on beard haha.

For the OP get out of there and find a better company. Respectable companies vary from place to place, I would use the nifty search bar to find some good companies in your area. Oh and 5&6 on your list are fairly normal among EMS.

OP
OP
E

Emtster

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the responses. @SandpitMedic -- that's a great story and well told.

So I can deal with 5) and 6) but something I didn't say above that might be relevant is the *reason* they don't change sheets is because the Boss "doesn't like doing laundry" and will complain if they have too many sheets.

So, today, day 2 of training, after sitting in the empty, disgusting station for 6 hours by myself, I quit. I am going to either hold out for something better or return to my previous career and stop chasing this particular rabbit.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I am going to either hold out for something better or return to my previous career and stop chasing this particular rabbit.

Don't let one bad experience ruin it for you. Theres plenty of good respectable companies out there...

EMT2015

Forum Captain
So, today, day 2 of training, after sitting in the empty, disgusting station for 6 hours by myself, I quit.
Glad that you left. Where are you from?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sounds like Life out of El Paso... Or any number of private companies I hace seen in my short time in the Houston Metro. Where in texas are you looking for? I just finished lots of job hunting research and might be able to help you find something

OP
OP
E

Emtster

Forum Ride Along
I'm in Dallas. That would be great if you know of any leads.

Despite my experience, I really enjoyed the work. I enjoyed patient contact and had an immense sense of satisfaction about brightening people's day and caring for them in transport. Also enjoyed writing the narrative and charting. There is plenty to learn and enjoy, and I was really really excited about the opportunity. After discussing it with a good friend who has been an AEMT for 4 years, I decided to wait for a better opportunity. What it comes down to is that this position is unsafe. The equipment is unsafe and the sanitary conditions are a health hazard. I left a well paid career to pursue my dream of being a PA, and fact of the matter is I have come to expect professionalism. I knew going in that the work wouldn't be glamorous, but I can take pride in doing a good job and providing a safe, clean transport for patients. I just can't do it at that job. One person will be unable to turn that place around.

If you have any job leads for Dallas, I'm still very game. I have experience and education in my previous field that I believe is a valuable asset. But most of all, I'm still really eager to get some experience.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The DFW is a large metro with some good providers. AMR, MedStar, Careflite, Acadian, and MedicOne or Allegiance might be good options for you to look into. I have seen several positions posted recently for Careflite in particular for EMTs

OP
OP
E

Emtster

Forum Ride Along
Just an update. I landed a job with a reputable good company. Also, checked online and the sketchy company has an EXPIRED LICENSE. So, glad I left there.

NTXFF

Forum Crew Member
Hey man are you specifically in Dallas? Sounds like a lot of companies out there. If you're ever looking for something else I know a company that I work for part time that is always looking for new EMT's and Paramedics. New equipment, nice uniforms, no dialysis or shady calls, decent pay, and a lot of calls.... Whenever someone leaves they always stay on part time or PRN and actually pick up shifts. Pretty damn good place.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I just had awful flashbacks to my early BLS Transport days. Glad you got out.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Reminds me of my new hire days on a 24. We worked out of this run down old station, that used to be an old run down AMR station. We called it the ice cave, since we'd crank the AC down to its coldest setting. It got so cold in there we would have to wear our jackets, but we didn't care. We knew it wouldn't be long until we were sent back out into the hot hot heat, so we froze ourselves.

That was fun for a while and then one day the AC broke. It was the hottest most miserable summer of my life. Worked that shift for months and transfered out before it got fixed. Who knows if it ever did. They claimed the station was haunted too, but we never spent enough time there to find out.

#4 is gross. 5 and 6 is typical.

Good to hear you landed somewhere more reputable.

OP
OP
E

Emtster

Forum Ride Along
Hey man are you specifically in Dallas? Sounds like a lot of companies out there. If you're ever looking for something else I know a company that I work for part time that is always looking for new EMT's and Paramedics. New equipment, nice uniforms, no dialysis or shady calls, decent pay, and a lot of calls.... Whenever someone leaves they always stay on part time or PRN and actually pick up shifts. Pretty damn good place.

hey @NTXFF I am in Dallas specifically. I'd be interested in PT or PRN gig. Can you shoot me a PM?