She needs to be intubated - what is your plan?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Tomahawk intubation with the C-Mac. Like a boss.

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hmmm, interesting. What is the benefit of it?

If it works as it is intended to, it provides access to the trachea by way of a guide wire passed through the CTM. The ETT is then placed over the wire.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
If it works as it is intended to, it provides access to the trachea by way of a guide wire passed through the CTM. The ETT is then placed over the wire.
Sorry, should have been a little more specific. Meant vs a cric. I assume retrograde is a more definitive airway and less invasive than a cric?

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sorry, should have been a little more specific. Meant vs a cric. I assume retrograde is a more definitive airway and less invasive than a cric?
Well, it is less invasive because it only requires a needle puncture. It's a little more time consuming than a cric, which is why it isn't emphasized in prehospital airway management.

The one time I did it I would have done a cric, but I wasn't able to identify the landmarks due to a congenital anomalies. Not being completely sure where I was poking around I felt better about using a needle than a scalpel, so I stuck the needle in the trachea, passed the wire, and hoped for the best. It worked perfectly.