RN jobs US/Canada

Blueiain

Forum Probie
Hello again, I'm looking to move across the pond and utilise my RN qualifications, I want to get into EMS, so I want somewhere that I can work and self fund myself through a EMT course, any ideas to where I should look.

Thanks

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.001783,-1.675549

Rev.IKON

Forum Crew Member
if you are able to use your RN in the states you can always work in an ambulance as a critical care transport nurse. you would be making way more than a emt.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If you have ICU/ER experience it's fairly easy to get a CCT/RN job over here. Try and get onto a fixed wing transport service, really high pay and you get to travel the world for free.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
A few things you may need to explore further.

1. Unlike the UK, US nurses are general trained. Meaning, you will need to have the same amount of hours in adult, paeds, psych, and obstetrics on your university transcripts.

2. You can't work as an RN in the US without having first passed the NCLEX

3. Work visas for foreign RNs have been in retrogression since about 2006. In other words, if you (or more specifically your sponsor) were to apply today, you would be looking at several years before your application is even looked at.

Allnurses.com have lots of threads on RNs wanting to work in the US, but unless you already have "an in", you are in for a long slog.