Returning to EMS: Am I insane?

mayordana

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I'm new here, and through college I worked part-time as an EMT-Basic for a little over four years. I went on to other things for another five years after that, and while I've continued to volunteer here and there in and out of hospital settings, it's only recently that I've considered returning to EMS professionally (in Boston, where I live). (I'm still certified.) Here's my situation, and the pros and cons as I see them—can anybody weigh on what I should do?

The Good:
1) I miss it. Full stop. I loved my work when I was an EMT. Sure, I can think of lots of things I don't miss (certain frequent flyers, belligerent drunks, going on a call at 3 am only to stand outside in the 10-degree cold on a CO alarm), but, corny as it sounds, what kept me going was helping people in that hands-on, immediate way—feeling like I did everything I could to take care of somebody. It's hard to find that anywhere else. I was comfortable with the fast pace and odd hours. It suited me.
2) I'd love to be part of a crew or a team again—my current work is pretty isolating.
3) My financial situation is flexible—if the pay isn't great (is it ever good?) or it takes me a little while to find steady work, I'll be ok.

The Less Good:
1) I'm newly married, and my husband isn't thrilled about the prospect of me taking shift work.
2) I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis one year ago—the mildest, most common kind. I'm on medication and have been symptom-free for almost nine months, and had a clean MRI (no new lesions) last month. I have the same motor skills, balance, reflexes, etc. as a healthy person. Although my neurologist and PCP have said I'm in great shape and feel I wouldn't be a liability to my partners or patients, the condition *is* stress-aggravated. The last thing I would want is to make myself sicker from irregular sleep/meals and the stresses of the job and THEN turn out to be a liability after all. Is it irresponsible of me to pursue this career path? Am I a nutjob? (Don't spare my feelings, I can take it!)

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Better side job than career. Do it. Did you work with one of the privates?

OP
OP
M

mayordana

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for replying—when I was working, it was actually per diem for a township in NJ. In Boston I think it would have to be a private company, though, since I hear it's crazy competitive to get hired by the city.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
It is. But lost of privates hiring.

Again, I wouldn't try to make your living on it. That makes it less fun.

OP
OP
M

mayordana

Forum Ride Along
Fair point—I don't know how much leeway I have with my current (non-EMS) employer, but I could always check out my options for doing it as a side job with one of the privates instead of throwing myself into something full-time (or trying to scrape together the equivalent set of hours...).

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for replying—when I was working, it was actually per diem for a township in NJ. In Boston I think it would have to be a private company, though, since I hear it's crazy competitive to get hired by the city.

BEMS is extremly competitive and they only time I saw them open up for applications in 2 years was a few months ago, and it filled up within a few days.

If you are actually in Boston and dont want to just do IFT's then look into Cataldo, they have 911 contracts on the north shore. Everything is private up there as I am sure you know except for some of the fire departments which are obviously also hard to get onto.

My advice? Don't quit your day job in MA to be an EMT for a private. Brewster ambulance has per diem work and is probably one of the better privates with new trucks and equipment. They also have 911 contracts with a couple towns, but the majority of the calls are run by dual ALS rigs. They also do a lot of BLS 911 for nursing homes.

I'm sure your husband wouldnt want you to be working for 12 bucks an hour!

OP
OP
M

mayordana

Forum Ride Along
Ain't that the truth about $12 an hour! ;) Thanks, Chewy. I knew about Cataldo, but I hadn't looked into Brewster yet, so I'll do that.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Side job. Shift work is incredibly stressful and not just emotionally but physiologically as well. You know your body better than I do but I wouldnt want to take that risk.

OP
OP
M

mayordana

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, I think you're right—everybody seems to be pointing me in that direction, and I could probably make it work with my current job. It's hard to accept the physical limitations that come with my condition, but it does seem like full-time shift work would just be too costly/risky. (And my husband is certainly in favor of this option, too.)

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Cataldo and Pro are good choices.

OP
OP
M

mayordana

Forum Ride Along
Nice. Definitely looking into both (I'd thought Pro was ALS only, but I checked again and I guess that's only in some areas). Thank you so much!

happylittleblue

Forum Probie
You're coming back to it for a reason so listen to yourself and see it through as much as you're able. You won't regret what you try. If you decide you made the wrong choice then you can always stop or change things.