Related jobs for a 15 year old?

emtchase1

Forum Ride Along
I am very interested in the emergency services field and have been since I was six years old. I now hope to someday work in emergency management or even opening my own EMS company someday. I would like to get some experience in the emergency services field but I don't know where to start. If anyone knows of anything I can do now or any volunteer opportunities, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chase

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Lifeguard.

That's about it. Enjoy your youth, you'll be 18 before you know it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fire or EMS explorer. You will learn alot of stuff with those programs but you will not get paid for it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lifeguard.

That's about it. Enjoy your youth, you'll be 18 before you know it.

The experience you'll learn from lifeguarding wont be huge from the first aid standpoint, but the people skills you learn are invaluable. If you get onto a big beach you can get some more in-depth first aid experience but working at a pool is pretty limited.

Check out explorer programs in your area through the fire department.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I am very interested in the emergency services field and have been since I was six years old. I now hope to someday work in emergency management or even opening my own EMS company someday. I would like to get some experience in the emergency services field but I don't know where to start. If anyone knows of anything I can do now or any volunteer opportunities, please let me know.
Thanks,
Chase

Depending on your location, there are different explore programs available for both EMS and Fire where you can learn first aid and random fire stuff (don't really know what you can do as a fire explorer).

Additionally, in certain states you can become an EMT at 16 (for example Connecticut and New Jersey).

Edit: Sorry for being repetitive, but I took longer than expected to type this.

OP
OP
E

emtchase1

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys, I live in east Tennessee and to be a lifeguard, you must be 16. I have not checked in to explorer programs though. Should I contact my local ems/fire? Thanks for replying so fast!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
ARC lifeguard you have to be 15 to take the class. My first place I worked employed 15 year olds. Maybe TN has a state law but I've never heard of that.

The beach I ended at you had to be 18 + EMT-B. EMT wasn't a requirement per say but if you wanted a chance to work there you had to have it considering everyone else did.

Your best bet for explorers would definitely be to contact your local agency.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Thanks,
Chase

It's refreshing seeing a young person who's able to spell and use correct sentence structure :D

I'd say jump on a volunteer department when you can, get your certs when possible, and get as much education as you can. If you want to own an ambulance company, maybe get a degree or minor in some form of business so you can do it right when you start up. Good luck!

OP
OP
E

emtchase1

Forum Ride Along
I started out in EMS at that age too! Let me know if any of these are close to you.

Thank you for finding those links for me! The Knox County Rescue Squad was the closest one for me but I live in Anderson County which is about twenty minutes. Thank you anyway for looking! I am going to contact my local EMS to see if they can work anything out for me.

OP
OP
E

emtchase1

Forum Ride Along
It's refreshing seeing a young person who's able to spell and use correct sentence structure :D

I'd say jump on a volunteer department when you can, get your certs when possible, and get as much education as you can. If you want to own an ambulance company, maybe get a degree or minor in some form of business so you can do it right when you start up. Good luck!

Thank you!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If nothing else volunteer at a hospital. I did this when I was your age and loved it. Try and volunteer with any department that has patient contact. Even if you are just handing out magazines or warm blankets it gives you an opportunity to get a look "behind the the scenes". If you are really lucky you might even get a chance to volunteer in the morgue like I did ;)

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Being in Tennessee myself, one of the best programs that I can recommend to any young person wanting to learn more about Emergency Services is Civil Air Patrol. That is how I got into Emergency Services, and I know there are several units in your area. Admittedly, there is not much there when it comes toward the EMS side, but it is a wonderful program. Check it out sometime.
www.gocivilairpatrol.com

And to the people who are going to tell me that I should have checked the date on this post, I did lol....I don't mean to resurrect dead posts, but this is information that many young people will find useful.