Psych Evaluations

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
My partner told me today that she has to take a psych eval for her PD job. She asked if I will have to take one to be a medic and I didn't know the answer. Is this something that is required?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Maybe only for municipal/county jobs, I've never heard of a private job that makes you go through a psych eval.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It seems to be the norm for most law enforcement jobs, sometimes a requirement for municipal gigs, but I've never heard of a psych evaluation for private EMS.

Check out the police officer forums to see how many fail the psych eval and polygraph for seemingly no reason.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I work for a municipal /city-run 3rd service agency and did not have to do a psych eval during hiring process.

Maybe they should though... :confused:

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Not likely, though many places will ask you questions during the hiring interview that serve as an informal psych eval (mainly to see how you perform under pressure).

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I've done it, just be as professional and mature as possible. You don't have to say anything that would not relate to your job. That is just what I did.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a 650 question psych written eval then a 1.5 hour in person eval by the psych doc. Lots of fun.

Almost every pd will put you through this. Highly doubt any private EMS will ever do it. Like others have said it's usually for public civil service type gigs.