Prep Advice

Shelbypj515

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am starting the EMS program in a few months, starting with the EMT courses. I would like to get a head start and start studying and learning. I would like some advice on where to start. Books, sites ect.

Thank you

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The book that your class will use, and maybe a medical terminology book. Everything you need will be in your class' book, though.

FFPRN16

The catch-all
The biggest thing that helped me was looking things up that i was not formilar with and learning about it and comparing and contrasting. For example-
DKA And HHNC or Myocardial infarction and Angina. if you read your book you will find a lot of things starting out like this and it helps a lot to understand some of the disease process before you begin. and anatomy helps a lot to.

OP
OP
Shelbypj515

Shelbypj515

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys. I'm taking a medical terminology course this semester and start emt next semester so hopefully ill have a little bit of a head start :)

EMTaylor

Forum Probie
Two things you will absolutely need to be able to recite in your sleep is the path of blood flow through the heart to the arteries and the path of airway from outside air down to your alveoli.

Cannot tell you the number of questions relate to these two things.

Church

Forum Ride Along
Two things you will absolutely need to be able to recite in your sleep is the path of blood flow through the heart to the arteries and the path of airway from outside air down to your alveoli.

Cannot tell you the number of questions relate to these two things.

THIS.. most important to really understand.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
On top of that, I'd say learn your A&P real well. You will remember things better when you don't just remember "A does B", but "A does B because C". It's easy to just regurgitate info then forget it, but it sticks longer when you actually understand it.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology. Something that helped me greatly when I was prepping for EMT is a book that was like $1 used from Kaplan on EMS abbreviations. That was a good prep book. Make sure you take your CPR course seriously, eventually you'll be tested on the same material.

Other than that, relax. It's an easy class if you follow the instructions given; actually do the assigned reading and homework and go to every class and you'll have no problems.