Physical testing

JWalters

Forum Crew Member
Maybe more appropriate in health and whatever, so if this gets moved that's ok, but I guess I'm looking it as more of n educational topic right now. As I begin to evaluate different places that I plan to apply, I've been having some good conversations with folks in the area. Today I was talking with an FTO at one of the local AMR stations who also does the fitness and agility testing for new hires as well as the skills testing. We got talking about skills and I forgot to ask my question on the fitness part.

What is reasonable to expect at a fitness testing for employment? Does it differ between private and public services? I ask because I want to be sure that I am training the right way. I lift moderate to heavy weights 3-4 times a week, do a couple days of sprint/intense cardio and a couple days of running (my favorite but not where I need to be focusing my workouts). I'm not in bad shape by any means but as a woman my upper body strength is certainly not on par with men who devote the same time and effort I do to the weights....bummer, but fact of life.

Some insight into what to expect would be good, so if I need to switch my focus at all I can start to do that now rater than scramble to do it when a fit test time comes around.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
At my company the test was easy. Actually doing the job, on the other hand, may not be.

Make sure you prioritize deadlifts in your heavy lifting if you aren't already doing them. Also, doing step-ups while holding a barbell with a bunch of weight on it seems like it would be useful.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
The AMR test, if I remember correctly has you lifting weights off the ground and pivoting before putting them on a bench, then reverse and put the weights on the floor. The other part involves carrying I think 60lbs up and down 3 stairs 3 times. If you are in any kind of shape you can do it.

LAKings67

Forum Probie
The AMR test, if I remember correctly has you lifting weights off the ground and pivoting before putting them on a bench, then reverse and put the weights on the floor. The other part involves carrying I think 60lbs up and down 3 stairs 3 times. If you are in any kind of shape you can do it.
CARE does a similar test but then have you do the back test which is some weird machine that shouldn't exist lol. AMR does not do this machine back test do they?