Pathophys

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Whats the patho phys behind a pt having an anxiety attack and says she has numbness and tingling in hands and feet?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
My research suggests alkylosis (increased blood pH) from hyperventilation.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
I

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
yup. the pt is breathing off to much CO2. blood will then be known as hypocapnia. this causes the PH to rise, and become alkaline. This process is known as respiratory alkalosis.

This will reduce the amount of calcium available in the blood, which affects the nerves and muscle fibers. the calcium acts as a second messenger. and without it the muscle will spasm. thus, the pt feels tingling or numbness.

thanks for the start.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Whats the patho phys behind a pt having an anxiety attack and says she has numbness and tingling in hands and feet?

google carpopedal spasms.

Basically hyperventilation causes an increase in pH, which increases the amount of bonding between calcium and the carboxyl groups of albumin, which is highly dependent on proper pH.

Only unbound calcium, or ionized calcium is biologically active, so the increase in bound calcium causes the effects of hypocalcemia, even though the amount of calcium in the body hasn't really changed.

this lack of biologically active calcium allows for neurons to depolarize too easily accounting for the numbness and tingling.

If you need more details or have any other questions don't hesitate to ask

Life

OP
OP
I

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
google carpopedal spasms.

Basically hyperventilation causes an increase in pH, which increases the amount of bonding between calcium and the carboxyl groups of albumin, which is highly dependent on proper pH.

Only unbound calcium, or ionized calcium is biologically active, so the increase in bound calcium causes the effects of hypocalcemia, even though the amount of calcium in the body hasn't really changed.

this lack of biologically active calcium allows for neurons to depolarize too easily accounting for the numbness and tingling.

If you need more details or have any other questions don't hesitate to ask

Life

Ya. I looked it up and was thinking whoa....... Took some time to decipher the text and it made sense.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more. but i always try to find it myself first. usually I just need a point in the right direction.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya. I looked it up and was thinking whoa....... Took some time to decipher the text and it made sense.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more. but i always try to find it myself first. usually I just need a point in the right direction.

hopefully that can get you started. not sure how many physio or chem classes you've taken so I'm trying to keep my explanation rather simple

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
Numbness and tingling in the extremities is known as Paraesthesia. In hyperventilating patients this sensation is usually followed closely by carpopedal spasms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

Lifeguards For Life touched on the A&P behind it ^_^