Paramedic Prep

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Looking for a few ideas on some stuff to help ease the transition into that class some, even if only slightly. Right now work doesn't need me the rest of the summer, so I have 5 weeks with nothing to do besides review my basics and dig into what's to come a little bit before I go back to Missouri.

My main thing I was going to ask about was what was a resource I can use to start looking into the pharmacology a bit and just start reading over indications, contraindications, etc. However, I have also started reading through one of my mom's EKG books, so if there are any good study materials to help learn those, pass them along. If there is anything else yall can think of that would be helpful, pass it along too. I figure if I have this much time on my hands, I might as well be productive and try to better myself in some way with it. Little easier to do in a structured environment, so I am trying to create some form of it by posting here.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
How are you at basic math? Can you handle fractions and decimals? Do you remember anything about the metric system? Are you ok with simple algebra? If you're weak in any of those areas, you might want to review them.

OP
OP
S

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I am not any good at math after a certain point, but I have no issues with the stuff you mentioned.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
If you want a more structured way to use your time, you could try to make it through the Khan Academy Anatomy and Physiology program prior to your class starting:
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/human-anatomy-and-physiology

There are lectures and even some quizzes. If you're feeling especially ambitious, make Anki flashcards as you go through the lectures, and convert all of the quiz questions into Anki cards.

Also, math-wise, the algebra is simple... But manipulating units can get tricky. For instance, you're given a bag of normal saline and a drug in some concentration. You need to figure out how many grams of the drug you have, figure out how many grams per mL of solution you have after mixing them, figure out how much your patient weighs and then figure out how many grams to give them based on their weight, and then convert your dose into drops per minute to administer.... There are tricks you'll learn in school, but I think it's better if you learn how to do it out the long way first. This series of Khan Academy videos is great:
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra/introduction-to-algebra/units-algebra

OP
OP
S

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I will take a look at the khan academy stuff. I have an A&P book, but kind of tough to know what stuff I don't really need to go too deeply in and what I do, at least for some things. Are there any good online resources for EKG's? I have a book I am going over and I am usually pretty strong with cardiac stuff, but got a few things I am finding a little trickier to understand. Having something I could be able to watch as it is explained usually helps if it is something I cant just look at and pick up.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My partner has me learning all of our medications. Generic/trade name, adult/peds dose, indication, mechanism, and cautions.

OP
OP
S

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I finally found something with a long list of medications (62 I believe) that has this kind of info. Going to try to find a way to get it onto my phone for when I am just sitting around somewhere.

Link if you're interested.
http://www.flashcardmachine.com/national-registrydrugs.html

Not sure if they can be improved on any or not, but it seems to have pretty good info to cover the bases.

GirevikMedic

Forum Crew Member
Pretty much any form of studying ahead of time will be of benefit. The more time spent doing so the better. Didactic will feel like (and it kind of is) a ton of info coming at you all the time. Learning rhythms, meds, whatever... it will all help ease the burden when that time comes. Do you know the exact (or at least very close to it) text your class will utilize? If so, find a copy online (99% chance Amazon has it), buy it, crack it open and start reading and taking notes in whatever way works for you.

This was pretty much the route I took a year ahead of time. It was supposed to be 6 months but I procrastinated and couldn't get the financials in place in time so I had to wait. But for that year, I studied pharm, EKG, some ACLS and the textbook I knew I'd need. This made for a much less stressful time since there were no surprises and I had a solid foundation in several areas. It still required plenty of study but retaining the material was worlds easier.

OP
OP
S

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I am actually going to (hopefully) order my textbook tomorrow. 4 weeks and a flight to Missouri ought to leave plenty of time to crack it open.

Hope it pays off like that and makes class a bit easier to grasp. Honestly, after digging around this EKG book, I am very happy I am getting a head start on it. Usually pretty solid on cardiac, but this is definitely a bit slow going. Kind of having to slowly figure out what is important to focus on and what needs basic familiarization. Glad this one wont be a 0-60 based around class schedule.

OP
OP
S

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, I have a question. I am trying to break up the pharm by class, but I am not familiar with a lot of them. What is a good source to use to learn about the basics of each class?

GirevikMedic

Forum Crew Member
With regards to learning drugs, perhaps the simplest thing would be instead to make a list of the drugs your service/area carries as well as some others that my also be common overall. Work on those first. I don't recall how many drugs we learned in my class but I know there's many that I've never thought about since then because we just don't carry them and in many cases are unlikely to. Also, in terms of NREMT testing those most common drugs are going to be the most common answers.