PA test for Paramedic?

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Hi,

I was wondering if a PA can test for Paramedic, like an RN can?

I'm trying to figure out my next step, career wise and debating if I should do Paramedic school on the way to do PA school. This is my second career so time is ....*somewhat*.... of the essence.

Testing for Paramedic once you are a PA sounds appealing. Wasn't sure if anyone knew if that was possible?

Cheers, and thanks,
Bean

JPINFV

Gadfly
Depends on where you are. Check with your state office/department of EMS.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Pennsylvania has some sort of Prehospital certification for PAs and the like, or at least they will, come 2012, when their new levels come into effect.

I'd call the state EMS office or the local council and ask what you need to do.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I would go straight to PA personally. Why detour if time/money matters?

Last edited by a moderator:

rook901

Forum Crew Member
Since a PA is a mid-level provider, I wonder if they would even need to test out? Seems like they could just have the medical director sign off on their skills. In Tennessee, even an RN can be signed off by the medical director and ride a unit as ALS.

Not saying that you should be able to just jump on the bus with your brand new PA license in hand, but I see no difference in testing out than just having the MD sign off.

Journey

Forum Captain
A Physician Assistant can also be an Assistant Medical Director for EMS in some states. A Nurse Practitioner can be one also.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi,

I was wondering if a PA can test for Paramedic, like an RN can?

I'm trying to figure out my next step, career wise and debating if I should do Paramedic school on the way to do PA school. This is my second career so time is ....*somewhat*.... of the essence.

Testing for Paramedic once you are a PA sounds appealing. Wasn't sure if anyone knew if that was possible?

Cheers, and thanks,
Bean

Doubt it. Apples and oranges, even more so than nursing vs paramedic. Not to mention, the scope of a PA varies so much from state to state..

JPINFV

Gadfly
Since a PA is a mid-level provider, I wonder if they would even need to test out? Seems like they could just have the medical director sign off on their skills. In Tennessee, even an RN can be signed off by the medical director and ride a unit as ALS.

Not saying that you should be able to just jump on the bus with your brand new PA license in hand, but I see no difference in testing out than just having the MD sign off.

Off the top of my head, the two biggest reasons to test out and get a paramedic license would be that a special relationship wouldn't be needed with the medical director prior to hiring and staffing requirements. If a paramedic ambulance needs 2 paramedics, than an ambulance with a mid-level or physician partnered with a paramedic does meet the 2 paramedic requirement. Additionally, there's the problem with dealing with other services. Most 'physician on scene' policies flat out disallow assistance/interference from anyone other than a physician and requires specific hoops when dealing with a physician. To avoid problems, anyone remotely nearby (or area's with state or regional protocols/policies) are going to have to include a quick exception to allow EMTs and paramedics to work with these providers outside of HEMS units or CCTs.

Journey

Forum Captain
According to the NASEMSO, these states will allow the PA to test out or take only the sections that might not be covered in their program.

California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Virginia and West Virginia.

Some of the other states have their own special designation for allowing licensed health providers function in EMS.

There are Physician Assistants who specialize in Emergency Medicine and they can also take an extensive residency program lasting up to two years post their Masters degree.

PAs probably would not be out in the field except as I mentioned earlier where they are the Assistants to the Medical Director and act as an EMS liaison.

Last edited by a moderator: