Oklahoma

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If they're F450 chassis doesn't that make them a Type I not a Type III?

:p

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The problem with fire EMS here is a matter of size. The cities are big enough to need a lot of ambulances, but too small or too unaccustomed to budgeting for those costs.

OP
OP
S

Stamey95

Forum Probie
So for you medics at EMSA, since you tech every call, do you get tired of doing all the BLS calls? What about other companies or fire around the area?

On another note, what are medic schools like in OK? I have looked at a few accredited schools like Gordon Cooper, Great Plains, and Kiamichi tech. Has anyone here been to them or heard anything about them? Thanks for all the help guys!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I didn't know EMSA medics had to tech every call...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We're encouraged to allow our partners to attend patients and practice to their full scope of practice. Granted we have certain things that takes the choice away from us but why even hire EMTs if your just gonna make them drive?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I didn't know EMSA medics had to tech every call...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We're encouraged to allow our partners to attend patients and practice to their full scope of practice. Granted we have certain things that takes the choice away from us but why even hire EMTs if your just gonna make them drive?

Until recently Albuquerque Ambulance was the same way. They burnt out their medics something fierce

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie
We're not necessarily only drivers. The medic signs the paperwork and has to ride in back when we transport, but we spend a lot of time on scene doing things. We do assessments and perform everything within our scope and then some. A lot of us do tech the calls, we're just sure to get everything done before transporting.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We're not necessarily only drivers. The medic signs the paperwork and has to ride in back when we transport, but we spend a lot of time on scene doing things. We do assessments and perform everything within our scope and then some. A lot of us do tech the calls, we're just sure to get everything done before transporting.

Do you ever get to write charts?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I'm sorry to say man, you're not attending calls. Doing a few skills on scene under someone's direction is different than attending the patient.

My partners initiate patient contact unless it's obviously an ALS call. I listen to their assessment and gather info from the background while they do their thing and take over if the patient starts meeting "ALS" criteria. Once I've determined what's going on and that they're not a high acuity patient who requires my interventions or even plain old symptom relief i ask my partner what they want, complete those tasks and then when they're good to go and I still don't see a need for my presence in the back I get up front and drive. There's days where I've done nothing but driven and helped my EMT partner because we didn't have any patients needing life saving or symptom relieving interventions from me.

They right the chart, they sign it, they hand off to the RN or MD. I'm still ultimately responsible but I'm triaging the patient to my partner's care.

That's attending a call.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm sorry to say man, you're not attending calls. Doing a few skills on scene under someone's direction is different than attending the patient.

My partners initiate patient contact unless it's obviously an ALS call. I listen to their assessment and gather info from the background while they do their thing and take over if the patient starts meeting "ALS" criteria. Once I've determined what's going on and that they're not a high acuity patient who requires my interventions or even plain old symptom relief i ask my partner what they want, complete those tasks and then when they're good to go and I still don't see a need for my presence in the back I get up front and drive. There's days where I've done nothing but driven and helped my EMT partner because we didn't have any patients needing life saving or symptom relieving interventions from me.

They right the chart, they sign it, they hand off to the RN or MD. I'm still ultimately responsible but I'm triaging the patient to my partner's care.

That's attending a call.

Quoted for truth.

That's one of the few advantages of running dual medics. We just swap attending every 6 hours.

RocketMedic

Kiamatchi is way, way out west, but decent. Gordon Cooper is REACT's feeder pond, same as how the OKC ones are EMSA centric. Meridian and GP are ok. Basically all the same.

I just go "meh" on call volume...it is what it is.

AceThunderstone

Forum Probie

That's attending a call.

I didn't say we do a few skills on scene, I said many of us do everything you just mentioned besides signing the paperwork and sitting in the captain's chair while the ambulance is moving. No, it's not attending in the strictest sense but we do far and away more than what you seem to think.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I didn't say we do a few skills on scene, I said many of us do everything you just mentioned besides signing the paperwork and sitting in the captain's chair while the ambulance is moving. No, it's not attending in the strictest sense but we do far and away more than what you seem to think.

Not trying to discount your role as I strive to be as useful to my medic partner as possible on scene even when it is decidedly his call. That said if you're not writing the whole chart, then you are not attending the call. Writing the chart takes time, interventions do not. And if you are writing the chart and the medic is signing it, well that's not good juju.

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
Look into integris hospitals. I worked for a horrible ils service in Dallas for a year. I got burnt out and questioned if EMS is what I wanted to do. I left healthcare entirely for two years. I landed a Job at Integris , Best thing that has ever happened to me. I have my Basic, pals ACLS and CPR instructor cert. I get full benefits and still make 16.25 an hour as a department lead. They reward you If you show them you care.

I work a lot with EMSA guys and I've noticed ever since AMR has taken over their moral has gone down. I am sure that is magnified by the fact that Trinity went bankrupt last year and they have that call load added to them.

I really hope AMR doesn't destroy EMSA. They seemed pretty solid before AMR came along. The way they are going I see them selling off assets and OKC going fire based.

I've heard emstat is pretty solid. I haven't heard good things about Midwest regional though. (mainly old and dirty)

OP
OP
S

Stamey95

Forum Probie
What kind of stuff would you do at Integris? How much of OK EMS is run by the FD. Is it mostly staffed by basics or medics?

RocketMedic

OKC and Tulsa EMS is EMSA-exclusive, AMR Pmed/EMT. FD runs ALS in most places, a few BLS, does not transport, does first-respond.

Michael88601

Forum Ride Along
I just applied with emsa and I have a skype interview Monday. I'm coming from houston and was looking to go through their paramedic program. I would be coming in with my emt basic but I finished emt-I just not national registry tested for it. I've been reading these posts and they make me a little nervous. I would be moving in with my girlfriend in okc. Will this job burn me out pretty quickly right now I'm only running 3-5 calls a day on 12 hour shifts.

RocketMedic

Depends on your work ethic. I find that running 5-7 calls in a 12-hour shift is ideal as it makes the day go by faster and keeps us from pondering the meaning of life. It's really not that bad.

Integris techs do a lot of med pushes, skills, IVs, etc. Same as OU and Mercy. No tubes. Mercy also has an EMS division. OU and Integris do not.

EMSA is an all-ALS, medical-in-charge SSM Pmed/EMT system. It's not horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Yes?