New Orleans EMS A&E show! *Video*

Anjel

Forum Angel
I just wish they didn't show so many of the tired old EMS tricks from the 90s...Unknown problem guy/seizure walking around with blood from his ear getting a c collar in the ambulance, conscious and breathing driver from the MVC buying himself Narcan due to "I want to take your high away." Maybe I just work a little differently than these guys, but it drives me nuts. I can enjoy the show for what it is, but it takes some work.

I didn't get the whole narcan thing. I didn't get the emergent transport on the ETOH bum. They're all trying incredibly hard to impress the cameras.

When they got to the hospital he did say that he got his sats up. So maybe he was slightly respiratory depressed?

I still wouldn't of given it because he was calm and awake, but again it adds a little dramatic flare.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Back in the late 90's a lady I know had a film crew ride with her and then several other ambulances from her service; don't remember what show it was for; maybe Paramedics.

The film crew didn't get any good footage; just had the luck to pick trucks that didn't have any serious calls those days.

Each crew got *****ed at by the shift supervisor, and regional supe about how they didn't do anything exciting and how they probably wouldn't be featured on the show because of it.

The arguement that they couldn't create drama and still provide appropriate care didn't hold a lot of water.

Food for thought...

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
When they got to the hospital he did say that he got his sats up. So maybe he was slightly respiratory depressed?

I still wouldn't of given it because he was calm and awake, but again it adds a little dramatic flare.
I really doubt any medic would change his treatment plan because a producer told him to be dramatic.

At least I hope not.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I really doubt any medic would change his treatment plan because a producer told him to be dramatic.

At least I hope not.

He was a basic.

2710531-tumblr_m2qjbjeul11qe2c25.gif

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Generally speaking our job is just not that dramatic. To me it seems like the only camera fodder calls are multi-patient traffic accidents and technical rescues. Those are rare. My partner and I flew out a STEMI the other night, which is *supposed* to be a totally "racing the reaper call." Nonetheless the most dramatic moment was probably my partner dressing down the FF/EMT for his incredibly poor 12 lead placement. Perhaps there would have been some good footage of me struggling mightily/starting to panic while trying to get an IV started on the obese woman. The helicopter isn't all that exciting either, we don't do hot loads anymore (thankfully) and there is a nice and peaceful transfer of care. Sometimes there is cursing when we try and switch our med pump over to theirs.

I can't imagine how many hours of footage they needed to make a show out of this. I just hope it didn't pressure crews into performing an intervention just for the camera.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Sometimes there is cursing when we try and switch our med pump over to theirs.

The most interesting part of receiving transfers to the ED from HEMS or surgeons is the variety of pumps. I think my favorite was a titration that involved the machine squeezing a syringe.

For what its worth, there doesn't seem to be much addressing the camera in the show. Even in Cops you see people give the camera a look, but there really wasn't any of that (that I noticed) here. Hopefully that indicates the crews aren't bothering with the cameras.

Angel

Paramedic
2 things, anyone dumb enough to treat a patient inappropriately, while on camera deserves whatever is coming to them.
And aren't we all used to being watched by now? Be it a cameras family or bystanders, I think it isn't new to be filmed or watched.
From previous posts things have to be approved by management before air anyway, and some things have to be said for entertainment value.
I wouldn't take some of the cliches seriously and if I did, most people not in the field might find it interesting or exciting while we are collectively rolling our eyes.

They aren't dressed like slobs, they obviously know what their doing and are good at their jobs so I have no complaints.

It can't be like an episode of "trauma" every week so not sure what some of you expect

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
2 things, anyone dumb enough to treat a patient inappropriately, while on camera deserves whatever is coming to them.
And aren't we all used to being watched by now? Be it a cameras family or bystanders, I think it isn't new to be filmed or watched.
From previous posts things have to be approved by management before air anyway, and some things have to be said for entertainment value.
I wouldn't take some of the cliches seriously and if I did, most people not in the field might find it interesting or exciting while we are collectively rolling our eyes.

They aren't dressed like slobs, they obviously know what their doing and are good at their jobs so I have no complaints.

It can't be like an episode of "trauma" every week so not sure what some of you expect

I expect guns blazing, emts saving puppies, ambulances doing donuts. You know, the typical tuesday stuff.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
Also, that girl seems like she swallowed all the terrible EMS cliches I've ever heard and just randomly vomited them up throughout the episode. Not trying to be rude or anything since I'm quite certain I would look like a moron on TV. I'm a little disappointed they transported all calls code three as well. Perhaps that was just for dramatic effect though.

I can shed some light on that for you as a former NOEMS employee. NOEMS has three response designations: Code 1, Code 2, and Code 3. Code 1 is a non-emergent response obeying all traffic laws and driving below the speed limit. Code 2 is , "expedited," and utilizes lights and sirens but you do not drive above the speed limit and you must proceed with due regard through intersections. Code 3 is 10mph above the speed limit and, again, proceeding with due regard. The reason they transported the ETOH code 2 (they did not transport that code 3) is because that is department policy. Usually we have extended ER wait times of 2 to 3 hours and limited resources to respond. Due to this, our EMS region protocols dictate that units must expedite dependent on unit availability. At NOEMS that usually means all calls are expedited due to volume and high utilization. This isn't for dramatic effect. I hated it when I was there. The people on the show are my former co-workers and friends and I can tell you that they also hate it but it is policy so that's what is done.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
Eh....... That was..... Not what I had expected. :(

Why is there a doctor in the ambulance?

Why were no medications given to RSI?

Interesting.

University hospital strongly encourages residents to ride with EMS for experience. They ride on sprint trucks and will ride in the back with critical units. RSI is not available in the New Orleans EMS region due to the fact that it is precluded from use by protocol.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I can shed some light on that for you as a former NOEMS employee. NOEMS has three response designations: Code 1, Code 2, and Code 3. Code 1 is a non-emergent response obeying all traffic laws and driving below the speed limit. Code 2 is , "expedited," and utilizes lights and sirens but you do not drive above the speed limit and you must proceed with due regard through intersections. Code 3 is 10mph above the speed limit and, again, proceeding with due regard. The reason they transported the ETOH code 2 (they did not transport that code 3) is because that is department policy. Usually we have extended ER wait times of 2 to 3 hours and limited resources to respond. Due to this, our EMS region protocols dictate that units must expedite dependent on unit availability. At NOEMS that usually means all calls are expedited due to volume and high utilization. This isn't for dramatic effect. I hated it when I was there. The people on the show are my former co-workers and friends and I can tell you that they also hate it but it is policy so that's what is done.
Thanks for the explanation! It doesn't make much sense to me to hurry up to wait at the ED for 3 hours but , like you said, we don't make the rules.

Where I work one of the local transporting BLS departments insists on transporting 100% of their calls hot, so I'm sadly very familiar with the feeling of being trapped in the back of an ambulance with an extremely stable patient as we scream down the road with lights and sirens.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
University hospital strongly encourages residents to ride with EMS for experience. They ride on sprint trucks and will ride in the back with critical units. RSI is not available in the New Orleans EMS region due to the fact that it is precluded from use by protocol.
It's not even available for physicians? TBH, that bothered me more than anything else in the episode. The patient looked like he was crying as they were trying to intubate him while still semi conscious.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the explanation! It doesn't make much sense to me to hurry up to wait at the ED for 3 hours but , like you said, we don't make the rules.

Where I work one of the local transporting BLS departments insists on transporting 100% of their calls hot, so I'm sadly very familiar with the feeling of being trapped in the back of an ambulance with an extremely stable patient as we scream down the road with lights and sirens.

Well the crew is not waiting at the hospital...They get there quicker to be ready to take another call quicker. Makes sense. They just seem to not have the resources for their call volume.